MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore, who became a hero to
religious conservatives for refusing to remove his granite Ten Commandments
monument from the state courthouse, was thrown off the bench Thursday by a
judicial ethics panel for having "placed himself above the law." (...) The
nine members of the Court of the Judiciary handed out the the harshest
penalty possible, saying Moore left them with no choice by repeatedly
insisting he would never obey a federal judge's order to move the 2"-ton
block of granite from the courthouse rotunda. "Anything short of removal
would only serve to set up another confrontation that would ultimately bring
us back to where we are today," the panel said. (...) Moore said he had no
animosity toward the panel. But, he said, unless the States stand up,
"public acknowledgment of God will be taken from us. 'In God we trust' will
be taken from our money and 'one nation under God' from our pledge." It was
as a circuit court judge in the 1990s that Moore became known as the "Ten
Commandments Judge," after he was sued by the American Civil Liberties Union
for opening court sessions with prayer and for displaying a hand carved Ten
Commandments display behind his bench. He said Wednesday that when he ran
for chief justice in 2000, his entire campaign was based on "restoring the
moral foundation of law."
www.detnews.com/2003/nation/0311/13/nation-324536.htm