Jurriaan Bendien wrote:

The wealth of a household = disposable income + unpaid work.

You wouldn't catch me saying that. If I was married and said things like that, my wife would have a fit, and boot me out.

Why, it would be the truth. The man who fixes a car or paints a room or
shovels the snow is equally unpaid and also contributes to the wealth of
the household.

If the wife

earns less than the man, then it is "reasonable" for him to expect her
to do most or all of the housework.

This doesn't follow at all. In the first place, it would depend on actual hours worked. Secondly, you cannot make such generalisations about what is "reasonable" in some logical or moral sense about personal or intimate relations. You can only make such generalisations, on the basis of systematically gathered empirical observations of what couples in households actually do, and why they do it (previously I have posted some findings about that on PEN-L).

I put reasonable in quotes for a reason :) It's not quite clear to me
why women wind up doing most if not all of the housework. Quite possibly
it has nothing to do with the fact that they earn less. But if Shaw is
right in noting that money is society's way of telling you how much it
loves you, then this is a possibility. The wife earns less, therefore
she is less important and her time and energy may be claimed in a
disproportionate way.

Some years ago, when I worked for a large, multinational computer
company, I sent out an email to everyone in the company asking why men
don't do housework. I was amazed by the torrent of email that came back.
A handful of men said they "helped," but for the most part responses
came from working women who wrote despairingly of their situation. I'm
very sorry I didn't keep those emails.

Moreover, when household income is

insufficent, a lot of women make it sufficient by sewing clothes,
cooking from scratch, etc.

I don't know whether that is so true in the USA. I found that in some places, eating out was cheaper than doing home cooking. I haven't got full data on this just now, but my estimate is that the vast majority of American women today under 32 years old wouldn't have a clue of how to make clothes. My sister does it at times, but that is only because my mother taught her how to do it. It is true that if you could not buy a good or service, then you would be inclined to work something up yourself, but these days there are other ways around that. There is very detailed data on this, because it is heavily used by marketing agencies, for example.

Cheaper food is not necessarily better food. I read this anecdote once
about a doctor who, when making housecalls, always went and shook the
cook's hand first for giving him good business. If you eat crap, you'll
save on food costs (maybe) but possibly see the doctor more often than
those who eat healthily.

I think it is impossible to measure the worth of the work women
contribute to a household. Some of it is easy: you can compare the price
of home-made clothing vs store-bought clothing. You can compare the
price of women acting as chauffeurs, vs paying for a taxi...etc. But
there are lots of things that are not measurable: how do you measure the
value extracted from the myriad social connections/networks that women
dedicate themselves to maintaining...which often translate into valuable
information, contacts, free services, free babysitting, job
opportunities, etc.? How do you measure the value of a woman's loving
attention and awareness of her children, without which an army of
shrinks couldn't fix the damage? I could go on a long time. But I'll
conclude by saying that economics (which finds its root meaning in the
"running of the household") is not even in its infancy if it cannot talk
about the significance of these non quantifiable elements of the
reproduction/creation of life.

Well in fact not just inadequate, but wrong. Household "wealth" in the
material sense, refers to the total monetary value of physical and financial
assets privately owned by the household, i.e. net asset values, and this is
nowadays estimated statistically in most OECD countries and some developing
countries, through household surveys or special asset surveys.

Well then, I'd say that measuring household wealth in these terms
doesn't tell us much.

Statistically the vast majority of women do want to raise their own
children, but most women also want to have childcare facilities available,
primarily because they have to work for pay.

That's not the only reason. It is indescribably exhausting to be a
mother 24/7; and it doesn't necessarily make you into a better mother.
Moreover, children need to be with other children and with other adults,
so there are many more reasons for having some kind of community-based
child care then that the mother has to work.

I studied this in detail in 1980-81, looking at all the available modern literature
from Wally Seccombe's NLR article onwards and data on voluntary
labour. I did a fair bit of thrashing at that time. Often feminists became
neo-liberals, because capitalist economics usually only values or validates
labour if it is priced or can impute a price. But in fact the capitalist
marketplace depends crucially on the performance of unpaid labour. There are
several different trends, but a recession basically results both in more
unpaid ("voluntary") labour being performed, and in the greater
marketisation of labour than was previously not marketised (also the refusal
to perform labour unless it is paid for).

Right. OK.

The demand for "wages for
housework" never took off, partly because unpaid housework labour is often
performed through free consent, i.e. people want to do it or it is
considered part of having a relationship, and workingclass people are in
general much more concerned with owning a home of their own.
In addition, feminists often depict women as victims, and that hasn't been
very popular, apart from raking up conflicts with men where there are none.
An acquaintance of mine thought the demand for "wages for housework" (Selma
James/Della Costa) actually referred to informal prostitution, and I had to
explain it. Many Dutch women solve the whole problem by not living with a
man, but they still have to do the labour for themselves anyhow.

I never argued for wages for housework. I am arguing for a
non-quantitative examination of the problem. I am suggesting it is an
economic issue as much as a social issue and that it would be wonderful
if we could come up with a way of describing the intersection of those
two realms.

Joanna