--- Eubulides <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Some Lost Jobs May Never Come Back
> Improved Productivity Allowed Manufacturers to
> Reduce Payrolls Permanently
>
> By John M. Berry
> Washington Post Staff Writer
> Saturday, November 29, 2003; Page E01
snip to here:

In the past five years alone, GM has cut the amount of
labor required to assemble a vehicle by 30 percent, to
just 24.44 hours, according to the Harbour Report,
which tracks such data for the industry.

I find that 24.44 hours per vehcile figure
fascinating.  It's an average, of course as there are
all kinds of vehicles being assembled and they are
being assembled in various locations on the planet,
including, of course, just across the border in
Mexico.

I wonder what the average wage of a GM worker is.
Even if it is $100 per hour, it falls far short of the
average price of a GM vehicle.  I wonder what that is,
the average price.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was
$15,000 these days.

I wonder what the average amount of fixed capital is
which is "depreciated" (I don't know  how else to put
it) into an average vehicle.  It must be a pretty
penny.  Speed up aside, I assume that worker
efficiency has gone up because of the availability
more sophisticated means of production.

Regards,
Mike B)

=====
‘My other piece of advice, Copperfield,’
said Mr. Micawber, ‘you know. Annual income
twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen and
six, result happiness. Annual income twenty
pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds
ought and six, result misery. The blossom is
blighted, the leaf is withered, the god of day
goes down upon the dreary scene,
and — and in short you are for ever floored. As I am!’

Charles Dickens' DAVID COPPERFIELD

http://profiles.yahoo.com/swillsqueal