AMSTERDAM - The editing bureau of the monthly Dutch business magazine
"Quote" was the target of gunfire yesterday or this morning, by unknown
people. Thursday night, the home of Quote publisher Maarten van den
Biggelaar in Amsterdam South was the target of gunfire as well. The
perpetrators are unknown. The Quote editorial team reckons with the
possibility of a revenge action by people who were portrayed in the magazine
last year. In the ceiling of the editing room, on the second floor of its
premises on the Singel near King's Square, 19 bullet holes were found this
morning. According to the editors, they were bullets with a "hefty" caliber,
given the number of bullet holes, presumably fired with a firearm equipped
with a muffler.

This morning the premises were briefly evacuated by a technical police team
for investigation. The shots must have been fired yesterday or last night.
"Yesterday afternoon there were still people present in the editorial
office", an employee said. "This morning we discovered the bullet holes".

"The editorial office was sieved, you can say that for sure", said publisher
Maarten van den Biggelaar, who discovered bullet holes in his own home in
Amsterdam South. "We haven't heard the shots at home, but there appeared to
be bullet holes in the window and the ceiling of the room of my son". Is he
frightened ? "Well, hey, I don't have to answer that now, do I ? Something
like this, we've never had to go through before."

Van den Biggelaar doesn't want to speculate about the perpetrators. "The
police will sort that out". No one has claimed responsibility for the action
so far. The editorial team connects the shootings with a feature Quote
published about the abduction of Mr Heineken as hostage by Willem Holleeder,
and his relationship with real estate magnate Willem Endstra. Quote
published the story exactly a year ago. ""He posted with his bicycle at the
editorial office".

Chief editor Jort Kelder doesn't want to speculate. "This is just bizarre",
he said. "You ask yourself, why us ? Quote is a lifestyle business magazine,
we don't rake up so many quarrels. We just do our work, I don't know at all
who did this, but if somebody has complaints, I prefer it that we drink a
cup of coffee with him instead of bullets going through the ceiling."

Translated from Het Parool at:
http://www.parool.nl/artikelen/NIE/1069653826149.html

Technical note:

According to the Scientific Research and Documentation Centre of the Dutch
Ministry of Justice, the number of illegally owned firearms confiscated by
police has been rising in recent years. For example, in 1995, 992 firearms
were confiscated, as against 2576 in 1999 and 2463 in 2000. The number of
confiscated pistols and revolvers remains fairly constant, but the number of
machine guns encountered by police continued to rise between 1997 and 2000.
In 2000, 58 weapons were confiscated per 100.000 inwoners inhabitants in the
Amsterdam region, and in Holland as a whole, 1,554 gas and alarm pistols
plus 1,781 imitations weapons were confiscated. In Holland, guns can be
legally owned, but there are also many illegal weapons. No overview
statistics are provided by the Dutch government to citizens about legally
owned firearms, to my knowledge, this is all a bit hush-hush. Estimating the
total number of illegal firearms owned by Dutch residents is not easy, but
it is said to be between 75,000 and 125,000 weapons altogether, suggesting a
minimum of one illegal firearm per 200 inhabitants and a maximum of one
firarm per 125 inhabitants. Holland contains 7 million households, and has a
population of 16.2 million. If therefore there are said to be 5-8 illegal
firearms per 1000 inhabitants, and if the average humber of inhabitants per
household is about 2.3 people, this suggests one illegal firearm per 87 or
so households as a minimum and one illegal firearm per 54 or so households
maximum (I haven't the time to calculate it to 5 decimal points). However,
this rough estimate refers only to the total population, not to the adult
population, and they are not adjusted for the differences between adult
households, and family households either. The likelihood that adult
households without children would contain illegal firearms is quite possibly
greater. By combining demographic, postal and geographic information, it is
of course possible to arrive at much more accurate estimates for the
presence of firearms within spatial co-ordinates, although the Ministry of
Justice has not done this to my knowledge or keeps it secret. But,
basically, you can say, there is at the very least one illegal firearm
present per street in a residential area, in addition to legal firearms
which may be owned by residents.  In Holland, the murder rate is still
comparatively low, and about 4 out of 10 men are murdered with a firearm, as
against just under 7 out of 10 women. The likelihood of murder increases in
the weekend, especially among 20-30 year old men, and the overall
susceptibility to murder increases significantly between the ages of 20-40
years old. The incidence of murder is greatest among males between 25 and 30
years old.
"I want justice. There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said,
'Wanted: Dead or Alive'... All I'm doing is remembering. When I was a kid, I
remember that they used to put out there in the Old West a 'wanted' poster.
It said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive.'"

- George Bush, President of the United States of America, September 17,
2001.

I read the news today oh boy
Four thousand holes in Blackburn, Lancashire
And though the holes were rather small
They had to count them all
Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
We love to turn you on

- "A Day in the Life", The Beatles

Well you were there in the square

When I was shooting my mouth of 'bout saving some fish
Now couldn't that be construed
As some liberal's view or some radical's wish
Uh-oh it's so hot outside
And the air is so sweet
And when the pressure drop is heavy
Then I want to hear you speak
You know most killing is committed
At 90 degrees
When it's too hot to think
And it's too hot to breathe
There's always s-s-someone looking at you

- Boomtown Rats, "Someone looking at you"