> I am not a Zionist and I do not favor the Law of
> Return, but I am not sure why LCP's argument is
> ridiculous. It may be perceived as ridiculous by
> African Americans, but that just because they might
> see Jews as just privileged white people -- I
> speculate here.

Ditto.  A law of return has the same logic as the reparations
movement.  Naturally, in that ideal sense a law of return for
Palestinians follows as well.

Arguments about the impracticality of it all are a different matter.
To deny one particular dimension of justice -- a LOR for the Jews --
bespeaks moral incoherence.

If for the sake of argument we grant morality has nothing to do
with it, then we can ask what it means in the practical political
sense to reject the ideal of a LOR for Jews, while upholding
it for others.  Does it weaken imperialism?  I don't think so.
It helps the bad guys paint legitimate aspirations for
self-determination as the internationalism of fools.  It
assists the demented propaganda coming out these days
connecting the international left with Islamic fundamentalism--
a canard that has to rank as one of the great contemporary
triumphs of right-wing slander.

mbs