Oh, I wasn't being puritannical and Lear was just another big male baby
who failed to see that we must "endure our going forth, even as our
coming hither." -- brutal but true...

Joanna

Carrol Cox wrote:

Doug Henwood wrote:

joanna bujes wrote:

Are there other numbers to tell us how much of this is comsumption to
physically survive?

There was a Fed study published in 2001
<http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/2001/200121/200121abs.html>
that argued that it was mostly driven by the upper quintile of the
distribution, flush from stock market gains (either financially or
psychologically).

Doug

O, reason not the need: our basest beggars Are in the poorest thing superfluous: Allow not nature more than nature needs, Man's life's as cheap as beast's: thou art a lady; If only to go warm were gorgeous, Why, nature needs not what thou gorgeous wear'st, Which scarcely keeps thee warm. But, for true need,-- King Lear