I don't like Saddam Hussein personally of course, but in this torrent
of degrading representations, can we just reflect a moment to get some
sort of perspective on what would be real justice on a world scale.

This man could have been living in luxury in exile with his family
with access probably to tens of millions of dollars according to all
the secret international bribes at the beginning of the year.

The fact that he was found in a foxhole within a short distance of one
of his palaces, suggests no cause for contempt. Rather it suggests a
degree of determination and resilience that is probably part of a
consensus shared with at last tens of thousands of other Irtaqi
people, who not for wholly bad reasons, supported the old regime, and
who are carrying on resistance now in all sorts of different ways
against the imperialist occupation. The Iraqi Communist Party has the
right to celebrate his fall, but those of us in the imperialist
heartlands have no reason to rejoice at the degrading representations
of him which do not address the real contradictions.

At least Rumsfeld has had  to accept Hussein should have
de-facto prisoner of war status and that the Pentagon is not competent
to interrogate him. A small victory against the hegemonist psy-ops
war.

Chris Burford
London