One point this article does not present is the demographic structures of
the north and south.  While the merits of labor mobility can be debated in
a number of ways, the fact of the matter is that there are striking
similarities in the dependency ratios (nonworkers to workers) in the
north and south but for different reasons.  In the north (Western Europe,
Russia, Japan) ageing is a serious problem from a structural point of
view, while in the south the high percentage of young children contribute
to labor abundance.

This mismatch best brought out by the ongoing integration process
suggests that labor mobility is an inevitability, no matter what.
Obviously as many have suggested (below) rather than have
unscrupulous brokers manage the labor flows, they need to be made
transparent.  All recipient countries need to institutionally prepare
themselves for the social and cultural adjustments and I might add
progressively.

I might also add that David Dollar of the World Bank is in favor of open
labor markets, which many governments and labor unions are loathe to
consider. There is a chapter on migration and remittances in the
recent Global Development Report.  This is consistent with the demands
some developing countries like India and Brazil are making in opening up
the service sectors that would allow the mobility of labor.  Not something
that the US and others had in mind when they pressured the south in
opening up services, namely banking, finance, and insurance.  So
politically this is going to be an important agenda at the WTO/UN levels
down the road.

Relatedly, I am working on skilled labor mobility from India to Japan.  I
will be conducting firm-level surveys in both countries in 2005 and 2006.
Japan has a serious demographic problem.  Japan is closed (though more
open since the 1990 change in immigration policy) to foreigners but
already Chinese, Thai, Bangladeshis, some Brazilians work in the
construction, entertainment, and other 3-D jobs (dirty, dangerous,
etc. also demeaning).  The question is how is Japan going to deal
with capitalist competition given the neo-liberal environment and the
fading away of the postwar MITI-kereitsu system?  It is evident it too
must be more open to immigrants in a progressive way.  It also raises
the question of innovative capability.  For India tapping the Japanese
market and weaning itself away from the US one will be good for the
Indian industry in a number of ways.  For Japan, if they don't get the
bloody Indians the US or Germany will:)

But the challenges of the Japanese market are there.  So are the
challenges of the Indian political economy.

cheers, anthony

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anthony P. D'Costa, Associate Professor
Comparative International Development
University of Washington                        Campus Box 358436
1900 Commerce Street
Tacoma, WA 98402, USA

Phone: (253) 692-4462
Fax :  (253) 692-5718