----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"The allocation of the epithet 'rational' on the part of neoclassical
economists has been a defalcation on a grand scale: as we have argued, they
have altogether overlooked the prevalence of price as ratio as one of the prime
bits of evidence that market operations have been restricted to limited subset
of mathematics - eminently computable mathematics - so that humans can feel
free to impose any interpretation or construction they wish on economic
events." (565)

Machine Dreams: Economics Becomes a Cyborg Science, 2002

"I think recent work in computational complexity theory raises the
possibility that there may be another "critical mass" for a knowledge
representation, a maximum size threshold above which belief systems must in
effect disintegrate. For a representation to qualify as being understood by
an epistemic agent, the agent must be able to perceive an adequate
proportion of the interrelations among elements of a set. Otherwise, the
agent will not be able to identify and eliminate enough of the
inconsistencies that arise...The range of intractability results leads one
to wonder in turn whether knowledge systems of some finite size may be so
computationally unwieldy in this way as to shatter...[Christopher Cherniak
"Minimal Rationality," 128]