I wrote:

Total federal employees  1.8 (domestic & overseas)

Should be:  not "1.8" but "1.8 million".

Because US capitalist society is a competitive society based on business and
government secrets, rivalry and lack of nationwide coordination or planning
in most fields (i.e. the "closed-off society" model where you need homeland
security), there is also a proliferation of statistical surveys and data
sources using different categories to quantify the same type of phenomena -
and not one integrated system, based on nationwide standard classifications,
permitting a "data warehouse" that permits all analyses that anybody might
like to do. There is a certain amount of overlap in classifications, between
different surveys, but also divergences in the survey instruments used.

The advantage of that reality is that you can get different angles on the
same subject, such that one survey might correct the limits of another. Say
that, for example you want to measure a flow of funds collected by the
government, and redistributed by the government to citizens, let's say, some
kind of social assistance benefit. First all, a worker might authorise the
employer to deduct that money from his wage and pay it, and receives a
confirmation that it has been deducted in his paycheck. On his tax form, he
will declare what he has paid. The employer pays the money from an account.
Then the federal government collects it as income. The government places the
money in an account. The government charges administration costs. Then the
account managers allocate the money to a specific budget. That budget has
again got an account. Then the funds are authorised to be spent.  Then the
federal government transfers funds to the state government. Then it's
federal expenditure and state income. The state government then puts the
money into an account, and allocates it to a budget, charging administration
costs.   The money is then authorised to be spent for the designated
purpose. Then it is authorised to be spent on a specific person who is
eligible to receive it. Then it is transferred to a private back account.
The state records an expenditure, and the bank account records an income.
The bank charges an administration cost. Then somebody from a household
records that that money as an income. Then th person uplifts the money. Then
that income is again declared for tax purposes. Finally, the money is spent
again to buy a designated good or service priced by the supplier. The
supplier receives the money, and places it in an account. The economist then
calls this "the market" (it doesn't really matter whether we're taling about
a corporation or a government, the principle of the thing is the same).

Clearly then, as a statistician, you could attempt to survey that financial
flow at dozens of different points, using administrative, personal,
household, financial, bank and commercial records and accounting statements.
In addition, you could also use data on other associated financial flows, to
estimate the magnitude of this flow, because you know it must be within a
certain range, within certain limits. If you started out with 1,000 dollars,
then you cannot end up with a million dollars or 10 dollars in most cases,
unless there is some very creative accounting occurring, a bit of "magic".
Or, you could utilise surveys already collected previously for estimation
purposes.  This insight is sometimes used in the investigation of frauds and
corruption: by tracing a financial flow through and cross-referencing, we
can discover whether money suddenly "disappears" or "mysteriously appears"
out of nowhere. The problem with a system which relies on buying and selling
for its morality is that the number of transactions is so great that it is
almost impossible to verify all transactions. To secure a money-price
morality is impossible, all you can really to is trust in God and hope for
the best. It's not that the information is not there, it is rather the
quantity of information and the fact that money in circulation can be used
in transactions which escape accounting scrutiny.

The disadvantage of many different types of information records and
statistical surveys on the same phenomenon is, that it is frequently
difficult to get believable data, you really have to compare different data
sets on the same topic with respect to concepts and methods, in order to
assess the accuracy, validity and relevance of statistical descriptions. For
that purpose, you need to know a lot about the available information, and
cross-check different observations of the same thing. This is not
necessarily an argument about data quality, but an argument about the
validity and relevance of statistical descriptions. A statistician may
conscientiously seek to obtain the best measurements possible, but because
of the conceptualisation of his measurement units, he may still miss
something. He requires good qualitative knowledge, before he can obtain good
quantitative knowledge.

Obviously, any discussion about "the division of work" is highly
contentious, quite apart from measurement issues; this description could
conceptually be output-based, occupationally based, employment-based,
income-based, institutionally based or personal characteristic (gender,
ethnic, cultural affiliation etc.) based, and then we could group
individuals in numerous different ways non-arbitrarily on the basis of their
real social and organisational relationships, institutional structures,
social practices and so on. It is also possible for instance, that (1) far
more children under 16 have a regular paid job than I have estimated, or (2)
that I underestimate the number of fulltime housewives without paid work
outside the home, or (3) that I underestimate the magnitude of
administrative work.

I don't claim to make a complete or exact analysis, I am merely providing
indicative figures to illustrate the nature and scope of the topic and try
to be as objective as I can, without being able to assess all the
intricacies of American social relations from behind my PC with the
resources that I have available. As regards religious organisations, I found
another estimate (group 813110) which suggests there are about 164,000
religious organisations in the US employing 1.5 million people altogether
(managers, employers, employees, self-employed, unpaid workers and so on).
But in an occupational classification, which I used in my brief analysis,
the number of workers would be a lot less, because their "main occupational
function" would in many cases not be to propagate/organise religious worship
or activity or minister to religious needs, but rather provide a service of
some kind that is classified in another way occupationally according to the
type of service it is. Hence, different conceptual systems are required,
where factors treated as constants in one survey are treated as variables in
another, or so that dependent variables here are independent variables
there, or that the grouping of observations is carried out using different
theoretical assumptions or concepts.

Jurriaan