Dear Jim:

The book is about how us economic theory to study noneconomic phenomena. Mostly micro.

Here is all the information from the publisher's web site:

Beyond Profit And Self-interest

Economics with a Broader Scope

Robert Scott Gassler, Professor of Economics, Vesalius College, Vrije Universiteit
Brussel, Belgium

‘Here is the book Léon Walras should have written, or would have written if he had
also been Kenneth Boulding’s student. It is ingenious in content and wholesome in
attitude. It combines neoclassical economics, departures arguably within
neoclassicism, and varieties of heterodox economics, within the ambit of systems
theory. It is only one of many possible combinations but it is rich and open-ended.
Its attitude is especially striking. Gassler departs from the trap of unbending
defense of the neoclassical hard core versus its equally unbending critique. He
departs, too, from seeing orthodoxy and heterodoxy as either alternatives or
supplements; he constructs a model that permits all to survive as tools in the art of
economics. It enables economists to escape from many of their current impasses. The
book needs to be widely read.’
– Warren Samuels, Michigan State University, US

This book attempts to reformulate existing orthodox economic theory in order to
improve its conversation with disciplines that have traditionally been seen as the
domain of political scientists, sociologists, psychologists and even biologists, and
to fit economics into the broader scheme of social science theory.

Drawing on general systems theory, Robert Scott Gassler applies economic analysis to a
wide range of social phenomena that incorporate motives other than profit or
self-interest, such as altruism and non-profit organisations. He debates in depth the
means, problems and advantages of adapting economic theory to new sets of assumptions,
and of communicating this theory intelligibly to those in related fields.

This book should not only be read by political and social economists, but is also
accessible to those in the fields of education, health and non-profit administration,
public affairs, and urban planning to name but a few.
This book attempts to reformulate existing orthodox economic theory in order to
improve its conversation with disciplines that have traditionally been seen as the
domain of political scientists, sociologists, psychologists and even biologists, and
to fit economics into the broader scheme of social science theory.

Contents: Preface Part I: Theory 1. Scope 2. Method 3. Foundations 4. Taxonomy 5.
Theory Part II: Applications 6. Individuals 7. Interactions 8. Organizations 9.
Nonprofits 10. Processes 11. Sectors 12. Societies 13. Planets Part III: Summary and
Conclusion 14. Conclusion Bibliography Index

----

Now back to me:

In addition to altruism and nonprofits, examples include gift-giving, cooperatives,
evolutionary and institutional economics, exit and voice, the internet, transition and
development economics, Lenin's theory of imperialism, feminist economics, and ecology.
Most heterodox approaches are woven into the fabric of the analysis.

Scott