Jim Stanford in his book "Paper Boom" discusses this issue at great
length including a lot of empirical data demonstrating the superior
economic and 'political' position of  large firms vs small business.
Small business tends to gravitate to a demagogic, right-wing populist
position, often tinged with racisim because of competition from
immigrants who 'self-exploit' in easy to enter sectors such as ethnic
restaurants, mom-and-pop stores, truck farming and personal services.

Paul Phillips

On the other hand, it was the big monopolies based in heavy industry that backed Adolph Hitler. Light industry, retail and real estate tended to back the social democrats or the liberal parties. Small business did provide many of the Nazi activists, but in the final analysis it was the Krupps et al who made Nazism possible. In the USA, if we ever face such a threat in the future, I would fully expect GE, GM, Exxon and Boeing to fund our home-grown fascist parties.

Louis Proyect Marxism list: www.marxmail.org