Doug Henwood wrote:

He's also very critical of the U.S. use of the WTO to tighten intellectual
property restrictions and of the confusion of capital account
liberalization with trade liberalization. He's not a wind-up free-trader.

Jagdish Bhagwati wrote [my remarks in brackets]:

"The starvation of the WTO and the financial indulgence of the Bretton Woods
institutions are not fortuitous.  The influential Quad powers -- the EU, the
United States, Japan, and Canada -- will resolutely not augment the absurdly
lean WTO budget.  This, of course, reflects the cynical business of voting.
At Bretton Woods institutions, it is weighted.  At the WTO, things work by
consensus.  You do not need to be a profound observer to predict that
resources and action will go then to the Bretton Woods institutions.  We
therefore have the supreme incoherence, some would call it even hypocrisy,
of the richest nations asking the WTO to undertake sophisticated studies and
to manage a Social Clause while denying the WTO resources to do this or
pretty much anything else.  Evidently, the WTO then must take on these
agendas but rely for their management (under the high-sounding rubric of
"policy coordination") on the foreign legion of a (G7-dominated and hence
"reliable") leadership and staff at the World Bank and the IMF.

"If you think that I am exaggerating, let me cite you just one telling
example.  As regards intellectual property protection (IPP), demanded
insistently by the United States and then by other rich countries, most
economists believe that having patents at twenty-year length (as put into
the WTO) is, from the viewpoint of worldwide efficiency, suboptimal, just as
having no patents almost certainly is also.  Many also consider it to be a
transfer from most of the poor countries to the rich ones and hence as an
item that does not belong to the WTO, whose organizing principle should be
the inclusion of mutually gainful transactions, as indeed noncoercive trade
is.  But the only institution whose staff was allowed to write clearly and
skeptically about it at the time of the Uruguay Round was the GATT, whereas
the World Bank played along with IPP, even trying to produce reasons why it
was good for the poor countries.  Even now, despite all the talk about
poverty alleviation, the World Bank's staff, research, and aid are being
used, I suspect, in a way that, instead of calling into serious doubt the
economic logic of IPP, can be interpreted as contributing to the know-how
that will eventually enable rich countries to get poor countries to set up
administrative machinery to enforce intellectual property rights for the
benefit of the rich countries."

Julio

http://messenger.latino.msn.com/