Hari, I think you should add another factor to your list: women are not
only giving birth later, but having children in a fairly stressed state
(because of working full time until the last minute)...and having to
return to work sometimes days after delivery. Surely that doesn't help.

Joanna

Hari Kumar wrote:

Says Juriaan:
"CDC suggests the 2002 rise in American infant mortality may be a
one-time
blip, and the US infant mortality rate for 2003 is expected to drop.
Previous CDC research suggested the recent rise in infant mortality may
reflect the long trend among American women toward delaying motherhood,
because:

(1) more women have put off having their first child until their 30s
or 40s,
at which time they are more likely to have babies with birth defects or
other potentially deadly complications;

(2) older women are more likely to use fertility drugs to get pregnant,
which often lead to twins, triplets and other multiple births that
carry a
higher risk of premature labor and low birthweight;

(3) more babies are being born prematurely or at low birthweights,
because
more doctors are inducing labor and using Caesarean sections for
delivery.
Multiple births climbed more than 400 percent between 1980 and 1998
because
of fertility treatments by older women."

Historically, the strongest underlying etiology of Infant Mortality
Rate apparently is the well-being/wealth of a society overall.
I would corroborate the CDC view that an increasing proportion of low
birth weight (LBW) infants, are from the groups seeking
(1) & (2). But the corollary of that is that the survival rates of
these infants have been rather dramatically increasing. Even in the
most at risk - the <1000 g BW infants. Rather than attribute all to
the increase in LBW, I suspect (but have not chased the data as of
yet) that
more societal factors are at work.
Hari