The original of this may have been jumbled in transmission. Whatever
happened, here is a corrected copy.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [lbo-talk] : BDL on Sweezy)
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 14:35:50 -0800 (PST)
From: andie nachgeborenen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Brad said that Sweezey's favorable citation of Stalin speaks for itself,
and it is how he would like Sweezey to be remembered. The suggestions
seems to be that the most important thing about Sweezey as either a
political figure or an economist is that he at least once agreed with
Stalin. If as a  political figure, it is unclear how this is relevant to
Sweezey as an economist. A number of well regarded economists of the
Cambridge school were actually Stalinists, including Dobbs and I think
Meek. I have anecdotal evidence that Sraffa, whose technical competence
was formidable, was a Stalinist in politics. Lots of folks were soft on
Stalin and nonetheless did good work. Do you disagree, Brad.

Politically, of course, Sweezey was actually an important figure in the
history of academic freedom and free speech in general, as well as being
a founder of Monthly Review, a national treasure and hardly a mere
Stalinist broadsheet.

If the point concerns Sweezey as an economist, I would like Brad to make
clear to me what I do not understand, why the citation in the article is
the most remarkable thing about Sweezey's career as an economist. What
about his reconstruction of the argument of Marx's capital in The Theory
Of Capitalist development, and his proof, for what it is worth, that the
transformation problem is soluble (And I don't even believe in the LTV.)
Yeah, I know Borkewiesz came up with it first. S credits him. What about
his groundbreaking work with Paul Baran in development theory? And, if
we are looking to the tip of the hat to Stalin, given the premises of
value theory, what is the emembarrassment in saying that the LoV will
continue to operate in the USSR.

With all due respect -- Brad, this is an olive branch, I'm trying to be
civil, and I acknowledge with regret that I have fallen short in that
department in dealing with you in the past. Please accept my apologies.

jks