Contrarian Chronicles (from CNBC)
Don't take mortgage advice from Alan Greenspan

The Fed boss says homeowners should switch to adjustable-rate loans and save the
difference. His record is full of dangerous moments like this when heâs been way,
way off.

By Bill Fleckenstein

Last week, Alan Greenspan was a study in contradiction. On Monday, he extolled the
virtues of the levered-up homeowner to a credit union conference. The next day, in a
speech to the Senate Banking Committee, he was singing a different tune altogether.
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the giant providers of mortgage capital, he warned, "are
expanding at a pace beyond that consistent with systemic safety," and that
"preventative actions are required sooner, rather than later."

For a Federal Reserve chairman who has demonstrated that he couldn't identify reckless
behavior if it ran him over, it was rather surprising to hear him chide Fannie and
Freddie for their recklessness. (I should state, however, itâs an opinion I tend to
share.)

His scolding might better be directed inward. What he advocated last Monday should
send cold shivers down the spine of anyone so engaged. I already thought that what was
going on in real estate was dangerous, but what he now cites as a good thing is not
only dangerous, it will be disastrous -- guaranteed.

All hail, Al's paper trail

Before quoting from the above, I would just note that Greenspan's latest comments
reminded me of a speech he gave on March 6, 2000, which I have dubbed "An Ode to
Technology." In the speech, he waxed on about the wonders of technology and how it had
brought us a new era and all that other stuff. Folks may not remember that date, but
it was four days before the Nasdaq Composite (COMPX) hit its all-time high of
5,048.62. Despite the recovery over the past year ago, the composite is still down
nearly 60% from the March 2000 peak.

This is not the first time Easy Al has been way off. On March 7, 2000, I wrote a
column called âAlan Greenspan: Friend or Foeâ that chronicled some of his prior
quotes, speeches and the like. It includes his Jan. 7, 1973, utterance (right before
the recession that ranks as our worst, at least until we get through the one we're in
but haven't completed): "It is very rare that you can be as unqualifiedly bullish as
you can be now."

That, coupled with his ode to technology and cluelessness about bubbles (which folks
have seen real-time), is a pretty fair indictment.

And, there are other examples prior to his latest "Ode to Real Estate." For instance,
in 1984, he wrote a letter to Edwin Gray, then-chairman of the Federal Home Loan Bank
Board, advising the regulator to exempt Charles Keating's Lincoln Savings & Loan, a
Greenspan client, from harsh federal regulations about its investments. He told Gray
he should "stop worrying so much" about such things as junk bonds, and that
"deregulation (of the savings & loan industry) was working just as planned."

Lincoln Savings failed rather spectacularly a few years later. And itâs worth noting
that within four years, 15 of the 17 thrifts he mentioned in this letter were broke,
costing the old Federal Savings & Loan Insurance Corp. some $3 billion.

What if adjustable-rates ratchet up?

Now onto his latest comments. The first was set up in a rather glowing Wall Street
Journal article by Greg Ip on Feb. 24. Called "Fed chief questions loan choices," it
begins: "In a rare evaluation of interest-rate options that households face, Federal
Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan questioned whether American homeowners are well served
by popular fixed-rate long-term mortgages."

I realize that fixed-interest-rate mortgages tend to have slightly higher rates than
adjustable-rate mortgages (ARMs). Unless one either believes rates will collapse or
plans to move fairly soon, however, fixed-rate mortgages are always the right way to
go. You know what you're getting into, so you're not gambling with your house payment.
And of course, if rates drop, you can do as everyone has done: You can refinance.

The notion of the whole country piling into ARMs when rates are at multi-decade lows
is a truly destabilizing concept to contemplate. What happens if rates go up (because
my view is incorrect) and the economy roars ahead?

Twisted logician makes short shrift of bankruptcy

Turning to a more objective analysis in The New York Times of Feb. 24, titled
"Greenspan says personal debt Is mitigated by housing value," I note some even more
outrageous comments. (I would call them guffaws, were it not so serious.)

"Bankruptcy rates are not a reliable measure of the overall health of the household
sector,â Greenspan said, âbecause they do not tend to forecast general economic
conditions." (The emphasis is mine.) So, the fact that we have had record and
near-record bankruptcies in the last couple years is immaterial, since bankruptcies
donât forecast the future!

Similarly, he reached into his linguistic bag of tricks to say why homeowners'
increased leverage doesn't count: "An extended period of low interest rates and extra
cash from mortgage refinancing has given borrowers flexibility (again, my emphasis) to
better manage their debt.â So you see, this cash-out-mortgage-facilitated debt
assumption is termed "flexibility" on his part, not an increase in leverage. Rather
than fun with numbers, he has fun with definitions.

The Times article then paraphrases him thusly: "Mortgage refinancing and the rise in
home values have helped to bolster economic spending in economic hard times, as well
as better periods." That is, of course, what has happened, as folks have groped around
to get through the aftermath of the 1990s stock market bubble. We have postponed the
inevitable via this leveraging of home values and aggressive lending tactics to keep
the housing market alive and percolating. But we are running out of steam.

'Assets are contingent; debt is forever'

Now think back to what Easy Al had to say about Keating's Lincoln Savings and other
S&Ls. The chairman has forgotten something that everyone who went through the period
should have learned: Assets are contingent; debt is forever. Granted, folks get around
that pretty easily these days with the bankruptcy laws but -- oops -- we don't have to
talk about that because it doesn't mean anything, because it's not a forecasting tool.

So the most irresponsible central banker in the history of the world created the
biggest bubble in the history of the world, which had disastrous consequences for the
stock market and the economy. In order to ameliorate that, he has created bubble-like
conditions and absurd financing schemes in real estate. Meanwhile, we've seen an
enormous concentration of risk develop inside the financial system: We are down to
just a handful of big banks and government-sponsored entities that are using his other
favorite toy, derivatives, to theoretically manage away all their risks.

Fed prudence takes a powder

The summation of these variables has only increased the risk of something bad
happening. And, of course, that risk has been heightened by the tanking of the dollar.
The dollarâs decline has been promoted by Greenspan's irresponsible policies and
attempts to continually bail out his most recent mistake. He has been doing this
serially since junk bonds and bad lending nearly took down the financial system at the
end of the 1980s and wiped out the savings and loan industry in 1990-1991.

I believe we are at the end of the string, and things are in the process of slowly
deteriorating once again. The pace of that deterioration may pick up speed over the
course of the year.
Perhaps we will look back on the speech Greenspan made last week and say that the Fed
chairman in essence nailed the top of the housing market -- just as he did with
technology in 2000 and the economy in 1973. And heâs probably just as wrong about
what happens next.

Bill Fleckenstein
Bill Fleckenstein is president of Fleckenstein Capital, which manages a hedge fund
based in Seattle. He also writes a daily Market Rap column on his
Fleckensteincapital.com site.

JD