Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: [PEN-L] Picking up the thread....

I agree with David S. that the idea of the clash of the relations of production and the forces of production is central to Marx's theory, even if Marx didn't use that phraseology very often. In his preface to A CONTRIBUTION TO THE CRITIQUE OF POLITICAL ECONOMY, he made it clear that he was presenting only the "guiding principle of my studies" (a heuristic) rather than a finished theory. A lot of the rest of his theory is a development of that idea.