----- Original Message -----
From: "Carrol Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> At one time, manufacturing produced flour, but most produced their own
> bread at home.
>
> At a later date, manufacturing replaced the home as the locus of bread
> production.
>
> Doesn't Taco Bell manufacture food? If Wonderbread was sold at the
> factory would it cease to be manufacturing and become "service"?
>
> Carrol
______________________

The answer to that is: NO Taco Bell does not manufacture food.  Pepsico
manufactures something called food products through its Frito Lay (and other
divisions) but Taco Bell no more manufactures tacos than Col. Saunders
manufactures chicken, or the Starbuck's outlet down the street manufactures
coffee, or the Armani Exchange manufactures clothing.

Supermarkets are not food manufacturing enterprises. The clerks stocking,
pricing, checking out food  at the supermarket are not food manufacturing
workers, and Taco Bells, Starbucks, KFC, and Armani are all markets..

IF Wonderbread were sold at the factory, the bread itself would still be
manufactured, (although we would still have an argument about whether or not
it is actually bread.  I vote for legislated requirements a la the baguette
in France).  The separation that capital develops between production and
sales, is  a division of labor  in fact designed to allow non-manufacturing,
circulation, marketing, the opportunity to keep up with production, to
conversely not draw  away from production time, and limit production to the
simple inventory and requirements of the "factory outlet."

McDonald's contracts and sub-contracts for its potatos (introducing the
Idaho spuds variety into Poland and Russia to get that "authentic"
McDonald's flavor across the Elbe.  I am not making this up), but it does
not manufacture the spuds itself.

dms