I think Louis right to suggest caution in asking who benefits from the
current growth in Russia, but there has been a qualitative shift since the
1990s.  Growth is not merely being absorbed at the top of the economy.  The
1998 collapse of the ruble delivered the unintended Keynesian consequence of
demand from below.  In Riga, anyway, small and mid-size businesses are
proliferating and the sense of desperation that one observed in the 1990s is
evaporating.  From what little I saw of Moscow this past November, this
seems somewhat mirrored in Moscow.  Of course, reports from the rest of
Russia are, to mildly put it, discouraging.

In sum, the market seems to be creating a broad-based growth, but in spite
of neoliberal policies pursued in the 1990s, not because of them.  All that
said, this has caused some inflation and none of these states has adjusted
pensions appropriately, thus resulting in declining living standards for
many.

At any rate, the whole criminal enterprise of the 1990s came at the greatest
cost to the region since Stalin in the 1930s, although at least that left
them with a modern industrial infrastructure....

Jeffrey Sommers, Assistant Professor
Department of History
North Georgia College & State University
Dahlonega, GA  30597
Ph.: 706-864-1913 or 1903
Fax: 706-864-1873
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Research Associate, World History Center
Northeastern University, Boston

Research Associate
Institute of Globalization Studies, Moscow
http://www.iprog.ru/en/