Osama bin Laden was quite specific in his demands in several of his fatwas.
I don't have access to it right now, but I believe it was his "First Message
to America" that outlined demands to restore the Palestinians to their land
and remove US forces from the Muslim Holy Land in Saudi Arabia.  I think
these demands were credible, in part because he had no apparent motive to be
dishonest, moreover they were public demands, and, within the Muslim
community would necessarily have had to have apparent sincerity and weight
to draw adherents.

What I think is interesting is to analyze the strategic choices made by the
USA from an economic perspective.  Prior to 9/11, as I recall, we had
military expenditures in the area of $50 billion annually in the Middle
East.  Compare this with oil imports that I believe were in the area of
$10-15 billion.  Now, with Afghanistan, Iraq and all the other initiatives
stretching all the way east to the Philippines and north to Mongolia, we're
probably spending over $100 billion/year.  And these costs are probably
dwarfed by all the different costs, real, opportunity, imputed, etc., of
economic terrorism.  If we were to view the strategic choices made by the US
as strictly a matter of achieving energy security in the most cost-effective
way, the decisions made were/are clearly nonsensical.  For less money we
could simply enlarge our strategic petroleum reserve to buffer any
interruption in supplies and withdraw from the Middle East.  So, and this is
my real point, there must be other reasons for our actions. And we must be
willing to spend enormous sums for these reasons, whatever they may be. In
part, I think the answer is that literally pouring money in a hole in the
ground doesn't yield the same Keynesian effects as military expenditures.
So there are probably political and institutional factors at play.  Any
thoughts?

Peter Hollings