James Devine writes:

>> Is this a different David Shemano, who I thought was a lawyer of some sort?
>> Corporations have _limited liability_ which means that that after a certain point
>> (the
>> amount of capital "invested" by the stock-holders) the state has declared that the
>> costs of corporate malfeasance, accidents, etc. shall be absorbed by the taxpayers.
>> Jim

Let's be clear about this.  The corporate form provides no unfair protection against
contractual liability, because the other party is aware of the corporate form and can
either bargain for a personal guarantee or not enter into the contract.

With respect to tortious liability, the corporate form provides no protection for
individuals who commit torts.  The only protection the corporate form provides is a
modification to the doctrine of respondeat superior (the employer is liable for the
acts of the employee who commits an act in the scope of the employment).  In other
words, while the corporation's assets are liable for the acts of the employee, the
shareholder's personal assets are not responsible for the torts committed by an
employee, unless the shareholder himsef committed a tort or the shareholder did not
respect the corporate form (alter-ego).

As a practical matter, the limited liability is only an issue if the corporation is
rendered insolvent and insurance is exhausted.

Philosophically, the issue is the appropriateness of applying the doctrine of
respondeat superior to shareholders.  You can characterize limited liability as state
imposed, but you also characterize respondeat superior as state imposed as well.
There is no inherent reason why a shareholder who owns 10 shares of Exxon should lose
his house because Joseph Hazelwood got drunk.  Ultimately, the decision is a policy
choice over which reasonable minds can differ.

David Shemano