> The above is true only if they have the reigns in
> their hands. Just as they can make more money faster,
> they can lose more money equally faster, if they don't
> have the reigns in their hands.

If you think it's not a good essay, I'd like to know more specifically why,
so that I improve. See for an example of how hedging schemes are advertised:
http://www.gemstudy.com/InvestmentDownloads/Hedge_Funds_The_Real_Story_Prese
ntation.pdf

I am really more interested in the quantitative and qualitative economic
implications, the ethical implications and the cultural/sociological meaning
of the derivatives business, about which I didn't really write, and in the
economic/investment expertise of derivatives brokers (their ability to
anticipate future profitability and economic growth).

I would certainly agree with Sabri that you can both make money faster, or
lose it faster, through derivatives investments. I thus said specifically,
only that profitability in derivatives "can" be much higher, but not, that
it always will be. Mary Poovey cites an investor's guide to the effect that
between 75% and 90% of all futures traders lose money in any given year,
but, obviously, if they didn't make more money than they lost overall, they
wouldn't be in the game, and the game would close down quickly. The fact
that it doesn't, and instead grows, suggests that it is becoming more
lucrative, not less. Typically a "secure" investment will always have a
lower rate of profit than the (potential) rate of profit on a "risky"
investment, and the differential is precisely what the risk-taker makes his
own money on.

What derivatives imply, is among other things the ability to invest and
divest much more quickly, as one "surfs" world profit rates and volumes.
Looking at the available evidence (admittedly not all that precise, because
of measurement difficulties), it seems to me that both the volume and rate
of returns on derivatives, as well as the total capital tied up in
derivatives, has grown.

Poovey writes: "As it reworks the relationship between temporality and
value, [the new financial axis] also redefines labor, agency and
responsibility. In the new culture of finance, value can be created without
labor, agency is transferred to an unstable mixture of mathematical
equations and beliefs, and responsibility for disasters is pinned on the
individual (a "bad apple") or simply dispersed as analysts blame their
investors' losses on flawed computer programs or unforeseeable market
forces." op. cit., p. 34).

This is of course not quite correct, at least in two ways: the broker still
has to work his ass off to make his money, constantly absorbing new market
information, and, in the last instance, the whole system still depends on
(1) the continual conservation of existing asset value by living labor, and
(2) the production of a net incremental value by living labor. A financial
claim may be a claim on another financial claim, but however long the chain
of claims may be, the financial claim is ultimately always claim on
surplus-labour (Mehrarbeit) or the incremental market value of a tangible
asset. Mr Buffet is really just saying that because the whole bubble is
built around "beliefs and perceptions" about future profitability which
affect investor behaviour, this means, that real returns themselves becomes
substantively contingent on those beliefs and perceptions, and this is a
potential "house of cards" since those beliefs and perceptions are prone to
"volatility" and manipulation of a type which can evade mathematical
analysis (beliefs being things that can change qualitatively). But that is
really no different from Marx's observation that the development of the
credit system has the potential "to blow the foundations of the capitalist
system sky-high".

BTW as regards the controversy about outsourcing, "...the latest monthly
survey of 55 economists by The Wall Street Journal's online edition shows
that most agree on one point: "Offshoring" isn't the prime culprit. (...) On
average, the economists estimated that the number of U.S. jobs lost by
movement of operations overseas since 2001 has been 188,000 in the services
sector and 502,000 in manufacturing, for a total of 690,000. That's a small
fraction of the 58.6 million in overall layoffs that companies undertook
between 2001 and 2003. The vast majority of those layoffs were offset by new
hiring elsewhere in the economy, but on a net basis, payroll [i.e.
employment] levels declined by 2.3 million during this period." Source:
http://www.quicken.com/investments/news_center/story/?story=NewsStory/dowJon
es/20040311/ON200403112136001338.var&column=P0DFP

J.