> I always thought that corporations were legal
> fictions. Legal fictions are
> legally created entities aren't they? They may be
> more than this but they
> certainly are not less.

"Fictions" suggests they are not real. Here is an
example of a legal fiction: The notion that that in
suing a state official acting in his official capacity
you are not really suing the state, which is forbidden
under the 1th Amendment as interpreted by the S.Ct.

I ran into this problem today.  I am trying to process
through my new firm's conflicts check process -- to
make sure we are not representing and suing the same
people -- two pro bono habeas corpus cases in which I
represented convicted murderers. The nominal defendant
is the prison warden. My secretary reported back that
they had to do conflicts checks on the warden. I said,
that can't be right. The warden doesn't care; we are
really suing the state of Illinois. It and not the
warden is the real party in interest.

Anyway, corporations are not fictions. They are are
real as many people. Imdividuals, I mean.
Sure, corps have some of the powers of persons --
contracting, property ownership, suing and being sued,
etc. That did not make them persons any more than the
fact that I have some of Michael Jordan;s powers (a
very few) makes me a basketball player. But I am not
speaking of metaphysucal personhood, only of legal
personhood. It was a big jump when the S.Ct said that
corps were persons under the 14th Amendment, no point
in pretending otherwise, even if the other things were
true of them.

The question of whether corps are fictions is
diffewrent from whether they a reducible to
interlocking series of contracts,a nd more
interesting. The later view is legally an obvious
error. The former is potentially an interesting
metaphysical error. You are right of course that the
law can fail to recognize classes of individual as
(full) persons in a legal sense, and has done so. May
still, as in denying gays the right to marry in most
states. I am not sure what your point is here, though.

jks

 The problem is not claiming