Here's the article that I promised to post on the World Social Forum.
It appeared on ZNET's
activism list.  Warning: it's long, but, I think, worthwhile.

Peter Hollings

SOME REFLECTIONS ON THE GLOBAL JUSTICE MOVEMENT
(And an eye-witness account of the World Social Forum)

Yo comrades

Hi everyone... Here is an article I just whipped together recently
upon arriving back in Australia. Beware though... It's pretty long.
It prints out to about 14 pages. Some feedback about the ideas
contained within would be great. And for those in Perth, it would be
good to get some dialogue happening about a possible Perth Social
Forum as well.

In solidarity,

Marco Hewitt
---------------------------

SOME REFLECTIONS ON THE GLOBAL JUSTICE MOVEMENT
(And an eye-witness account of the World Social Forum)

There is no doubt that neo-liberalism is in crisis. It's crisis is
that of it's own legitimacy. Its imperial ideology and institutions
are increasingly being called into question and attacked by the
global citizenry informed by a new global consciousness. UK writer
and activist, George Monbiot, actually believes that we may be on the
verge of a new 'metaphysical mutation', a rare moment in history
which sweeps away old systems and revolutionises the way people
think, the world over. Historical examples are the emergence of Islam
and Christianity, and the Enlightenment period. In the present day,
there has been an explosive rebirth of fresh thinking and new ideas
about human possibility and potential, and an outright rejection of
the TINA doctrine (There Is No Alternative). What we are witnessing
is a rediscovery of human agency and a new optimism about our
collective power to change the world.

The World Social Forum in January this year in Mumbai, India, saw the
gathering of 100,000 people - 70,000 of them Indian of every state,
caste, class, religion, and ethnicity, and 30,000 of them from
overseas from 120 different countries - to express their opposition
to neo-liberalism, exchange experiences, create and strengthen
alliances, discuss and debate alternatives, and celebrate the growing
global culture of resistance and revolt. The slogan that was
popularised in Porto Alegre, "Another World is Possible", echoed in
every hall and tent, under every tree and on every dusty crowded
street of the Nesco Grounds that hosted the mammoth forum.

The WSF's shift to India this year reflected its recognition of the
need to broaden its reach and involve a greater number of individuals
and social movements from the African and Asian continents at the
sharp end of imperialism and neo-liberalism. After all, the first
three forums had largely been confined to European and Latin American
social movements. Mumbai has a suitably radical history, being the
birthplace of India's independence movement in 1885, as well as the
birthplace of India's very first trade union in 1890. India's
national liberation movement in the Forties inspired all subsequent
national liberation movements, throughout Asia, Africa, and Latin
America. Important and heroic struggles continue to be waged all over
India, such as the struggles against the dam project in the Narmada
Valley, against the Coca-Cola plant in Plachimada, and against the
Western companies responsible for the gas tragedy in Bhopal.
Initially there were hesitations about holding the Forum in Mumbai,
seeing that it is over-crowded and polluted, and does not have the
advantage of a progressive local government like in Porto Alegre.
There were fears that conservative forces would try to sabotage the
event but this did not happen. The forum's move to India turned out
to be highly successful.

Mumbai is home to nearly 20 million people, half of whom either live
in slums or on the streets. The sheer degree and conspicuousness of
urban poverty in Mumbai shocked many international participants of
the forum. Filthy, pencil-thin beggars, mainly women and children,
flocked to the forum gates. They were a sobering reminder to all
forum participants of the urgency and importance of humanity's task
in building "another world". In the hundreds of conference halls and
tents of the forum, the poor could no longer be talked about in the
abstract; they were living and breathing just beyond the forum's
perimiters.

The forum in India resolved to adopt, as its main themes, opposition
to imperialist globalisation, patriarchy, and militarism, and in
order to address the specific concerns of South Asia (while still
maintaining a global perspective), opposition to casteism and racism
(descent-based oppression, exploitation, exclusion, and
discrimination), and communalism (religious sectarianism and
fundamentalism).

In the weeks leading up to the World Social Forum, several startling
billboards sprung up around Mumbai. For example, one billboard had
the format of a huge postcard on which was written, "Dear George
Bush, Give peace a chance. Visit the land of non-violence. Regards,
Raja Rani Travels". And another, advertising Air India: "Greater
Friendship. Shorter Flying Time. We now fly through Pakistani
Airspace". I had the acute feeling that these companies were trying
to capitalise on the Forum and appeal to the expected massive influx
of forum participants from other parts of the country and the world.
It pointed out to me the dangers of dissent being coopted by market
forces. Neo-liberalism's resiliency relies to a large degree on its
ability to co-opt oppositional forces, whether through the market,
through the media, or through conscious government efforts.

The World Social Forum is inextricably a part of what many call the
Global Justice Movement, or the Movement of Movements. In the past,
it has been erroneously labelled the Anti-Globalisation movement by a
capitalist media skilful in creating its own terminology that
legitimises the status quo. Many simply define globalisation as
cosmopolitanisation and the increasing interdependence of the world's
people through trade and communications. In this sense, the Global
Justice movement is definitely not anti-globalisation. However, many
on the left use the terms 'globalisation' and 'neo-liberalism'
synonymously, referring to the processes of privatisation,
commodification, deregulation and trade liberalisation, which lead to
the erosion of sovereignty of communities and the undermining of
democracy. In this sense of the word, yes, the Global Justice
movement is anti-globalisation. But what need is there of this
definition of globalisation if we can already express this through
the term 'neo-liberalism'? The differing definitions of globalisation
only lead to confusion. A third definition of globalisation is to
extend and spread something on a global scale. In this sense of the
word, we are against the globalisation of neo-liberalism, but we are
for the globalisation of resistance, democracy, justice and human
rights; indeed, for an alternative globalisation from below. One
particular Indian newspaper had the nerve to call the World Social
Forum an 'anti-global' event, despite delegates from over 120
countries being present. To me, this shows why we should drop
the 'anti-globalisation' tag once and for all; it creates more
trouble and confusion than it's worth. George Monbiot writes that
what our movement needs to do is to actually harness and capture the
process of globalisation and "use it as a vehicle for humanity's
first global democratic revolution". What could be more pro-
globalisation than a global revolution? What we are fighting against
is not globalisation, but rather, neo-liberalism, which itself is a
form of imperialism and merely the latest wave of capitalist
expansion.

Since the onset of neo-liberal policies, the world has seen an annual
net financial transfer from the South to the North of US$300 billion,
due to unfair terms of trade, aid, and investments. No matter how
many billions of dollars are given in aid to poorer countries by
bilateral or multilateral agencies, this money inevitably always
flows back to its source, with interest. Within both the South and
the North there is also a redistribution of wealth taking place from
the poor to the rich, so that we see the creation of the South within
the North, as well as the North within the South. The neo-liberal
empire would not be able to function if the economic elite of the
North didn't have a network of loyal, corrupt Southern elites to
service them and the Empire, at the expense of their own people.

The Global Justice Movement is widely seen to have had its origins
during the Seattle riots in 1999, in which 50,000 people managed to
shut down the ministerial meeting of the World Trade Organisation.
However, the origins of the movement began much earlier. The first
reason Seattle was significant and exciting was that it saw the unity
of elements of the left that previously would have wanted nothing to
do with eachother, such as trade unionists and environmentalists.
Single issue movements were finally coming to realise their common
basis and the necessity of standing together to battle the common
enemy of neo-liberalism. The second reason Seattle was significant
was that it was the first time there was such a large and militant
demonstration against neo-liberalism in the North. Large
demonstrations had been taking place throughout the South against neo-
liberal institutions long before Seattle. For example, in the
Eighties when the IMF imposed a halt to food subsidies in the South,
it provoked a series of urban uprisings in several countries that
became known as the "Food Riots". Also in the Eighties were many
large movements that formed to counter socially and ecologically
destructive World Bank infrastructure projects, such as the infamous
Narmada Valley Dam Project in India. The Nineties saw widespread
protests against World Bank and IMF-imposed Structural Adjustment
Programs. But these movements were extremely localised and isolated
from eachother. Neo-liberalism was at the pinnacle of its glory and
its proponents were more confident than ever. However, on January 1,
1994, on the very day that the North American Free Trade Agreement
(NAFTA) was due to become law, there was an armed uprising by the
extremely marginalised indigenous people of Southern Mexico who
called themselves the Zapatistas. More than any other single event,
it was the Zapatista uprising that triggered a new wave of
internationalism, the legacy of which we are living today. While
initially appearing as a traditional guerrilla movement, it quickly
became evident that it was something entirely new. It was an
indigenous mass movement taking place through autonomous organising
in hundreds of villages all over southern Mexico, and not something
confined to a few dozen revolutionary fighters. After the initial two
weeks of fighting, not a single shot has been fired, but thousands of
Zapatistas continue to organise autonomously in their villages and
construct a people-centred alternative to the doctrine of neo-
liberalism that had dehumanised them to the point that they could not
bear it any longer. The Zapatistas were adept at building a global
solidarity network, and creating a new consciousness against the
tyrranies of neo-liberalism, and in particular, free trade. Activists
in Canada and the United States were quick to realise their own role
in challenging NAFTA, and it was this new Zapatista-inspired
consciousness that led directly to the anti-WTO riots in Seattle. The
Zapatistas even held two global encuentros against neo-liberalism and
for humanity. The first was held in Chiapas in 1996, and the second
in Spain in 1997. These encuentros gave rise, and shape, to a new
internationalism and inspired the creation of IndyMedia and People's
Global Action. It was at these meets that the seeds of the World
Social Forum were also planted. The Zapatista uprising reinvigorated
and re-energised a tired and battered Left, and the 'Battle of
Seattle' served to trigger further excitement and optimism, and
inspired yet more mass mobilisations against the institutions of neo-
liberalism, such as those that took place in Prague, Gothenburg,
Melbourne, Quebec, and Genoa. The recent popular revolt in Bolivia
and the ongoing process of the Bolivarian Revolution in Venezuela are
also part of the wider emerging movement. The War on Terror has been
a test for the Global Justice Movement; a test which was undoubtedly
passed when the movement, largely considered to be solely anti-
corporate, morphed into the biggest anti-war protest in history on
February 15, 2003. There was a new recognition that the IMF
chequebook and the American cruise missile are just different weapons
used by the neo-liberals for the same ends. Hillary Wainwright, the
editor of the journal Red Pepper, believes that February 15 was
perhaps the first time in history that the world's people and social
movements have truly acted as a conscious global agent. The fact that
the February 15 call-to-action was made by individuals and
organisations active within the European and World Social Forums
points to the immense potential of these new formations. The collapse
of the WTO talks in Cancun in September 2003 was also a major victory
for the Global Justice Movement. It is within the historical context
outlined above that the World Social Forum has come into being.

The Pakistani rock band, Junoon, played to a huge audience at the
WSF's Opening Ceremony. They were given an extremely warm reception
by the crowd, especially by the Indians. It was soul-stirring to see
this expression of solidarity between India and Pakistan,
irrespective of their belligerent leaders, and irrespective of the
disputed Line of Control that divides Indian-occupied Kashmir from
Pakistani-occupied Kashmir. The new internationalism has no respect
for national borders; just a desire to see all humans live free.
There was quite a large Pakistani delegation at the Forum, which
would have been even larger if the Indian authorities hadn't denied
visas to 2000 other Pakistanis. Another band that played at the
opening ceremony was Instituto from Brazil. Between songs, the singer
said to the audience: "Sorry I don't speak much English. I just want
to say to India, that everything we know about you in Brazil comes
through the U.S. or Europe. We need to speak directly, so that we'll
know eachother directly. We countries of the Third World have to
stick together".

One of the great successes of this year's WSF was that it achieved
its aim of vastly greater participation from African and Asian social
movements. Women also played a much greater role, and the proportion
of delegates from the poorer sections of society - dalits
(untouchables/lower-caste), adivasis (tribals), farmers, and other
rural workers - was much greater in Mumbai than in Porto Alegre. In
addition, it has been estimated that 80 percent of delegates to this
year's forum were in the 25-35 age-group. That should definitely be
cause for great hope.

The forum consisted of a dozen or so WSF-organised plenary sessions,
featuring all the usual left-wing superstars such as Arundhati Roy
and Jose Bove, and hundreds, if not thousands, of self-organised
events. It was the latter that were inevitably much more lively and
allowed for greater participation from the audience. The WSF
shouldn't solely be about the big-name speakers. Nor should it be
about merely pushing for legislation in our respective countries that
might aid our cause. Nor should it be merely just an annual feel-good
pilgrimage that takes the place of true, committed grassroots
struggle. What the World Social Forum is about is sharing stories of
struggle and developing strategies for overcoming obstacles in the
process of building a new world. It is a space where people with
histories and dreams can come together; a space for the cross-
pollination of ideas and for moving towards a genuine politics of
difference. Sonali Kolhatkar, writing for Z-mag, states: "When Indian
farmers screwed by Monsanto hear the testimonies of Latin American
farmers also screwed by Monsanto, solutions to global problems may be
more visible, and the prospects of uniting globally against Monsanto
and others comes closer to reality". I attended a forum on post-
conflict reconstruction, where delegates from Cambodia, East Timor,
Afghanistan, and Iraq all told their stories of how the UN, World
Bank, BINGOs (Big International Non-Governmental Organisations), and
Multinational Corporations have all undermined the sovereignty of
their communities and have worked to rebuild their countries in the
neo-liberal mould, using such mechanisms as loan conditionality. One
speaker described the World Bank and IMF's PRSPs (Poverty Reduction
Strategy Papers - the euphemistically renamed term for the Structural
Adjustment Programs of old) as 'weapons of mass destruction'. Where
else in the world could such a vast array of communities in
resistance get together in one place at one time to share stories on
a common platform? It is my ardent belief that despite all of the
criticisms that the WSF has attracted (I will elucidate these further
on), it must be defended as it is indeed one of the few platforms in
the world where the poor actually have a voice.

I heard stories of how 3 million people have died in a war in the
Congo, largely over mineral wealth. There are, in fact, rival armies
backed by rival corporations who are competing over access to coltan,
which is used in the manafacture of mobile phones and Playstations.
The African Union is seeking to further entrench neo-liberalism in
the continent, by their pioneering of NEPAD (New Economic Partnership
for Africa's Development), which is Africa's answer to the FTAA (Free
Trade Agreement of the Americas) on the other side of the Atlantic.

I also heard stories of how Tamils are being pushed off their lands
by Sinhala chauvinists in cahoots with transnational corporations.
These corporations have been buying up land for tourist resorts,
industry, and aquaculture. Governments such as those of Japan have
been helping to broker peace agreements on the troubled island, but
only in order to assist corporations from their country to be able to
more easily penetrate the country. One Tamil activist told of how he
was struggling for Tamil autonomy but also for peace between the
Sinhalese and Tamils. He and four others were even hospitalised by
Sinhala chauvinists at a Sinhala-Tamil joint cultural festival for
peace that he organised in Colombo.

Meanwhile, Mustapha Barghouti, a Palestinian activist, outlined the
case for the freedom struggle in Palestine: "It's exactly like the
struggle of Indians in the 40s for independence, it is exactly like
the Algerian struggle in the 60s, the Vietnamese struggle in the 70s
and the South African struggle in the 80s". He talked about Israel's
new apartheid wall, and the ongoing atrocities. And while the US
supplies military hardware to Israel in its occupation of Palestine,
Israel in turn supplies military hardware to India in its occupation
of Kashmir.

In addition to the telling of stories, there was also the creation of
new alliances. The Assembly of Social Movements, which is an alliance
between ATTAC, Focus on the Global South, Via Campesina and other
groups, and which was formed at a previous WSF in Porto Alegre, has
demonstrated the value of building such bridges. It was this
coalition that issued the call-to-action on February 15, 2003 against
the US invasion of Iraq. We are all familiar with the results. The
WSF Charter of Principles states that the WSF cannot, as a body,
issue final declarations or resolutions which claim to represent all
participants of the WSF as a whole. The reason for this is that the
organisers feel that inclusion must take precedence over agenda-
setting. But the WSF does not discourage groups or coalitions from
making their own declarations, resolutions, proposals, or calls-to-
action, as long as they do so in their own name, and not in the name
of the WSF in its entirety. The organisers merely see their role as
providing a space. They see the WSF as an arena of actors, rather
than as an actor in itself. Therefore, it is up to individuals and
groups within the WSF space to form their own alliances and organise
themselves, rather than expect to be organised from above. The
Assembly of Social Movements has shown what is possible in the past.
This year, Via Campesina, Focus on the Global South, and Food First,
have made steps towards allying themselves with social movements in
Venezuela. After all, Venezuela's government is the only one of its
kind in the world in that it sees itself as part of our movement. US
organisations also got together and resolved to work towards building
an American Social Forum in 2005.

There were also alliances built between migrant and refugee-rights
groups. With an increasingly militarised US-Mexico border, the mass
deportations of Arabs and muslims from the US, the rise of Fortress
Europe and Fortress Australia, and the abuse and exploitation of
migrant workers in places like South Korea and Hong Kong, the demand
for global citizenship is becoming increasingly central.

Indian Dalit human-rights organisations also made steps towards
building alliances with the other most oppressed groups in Indian
society. I attended a forum entitled, "A Roundtable of Dalits,
Adivasis, Muslims, and Women", where it was pointed out to me that in
any indicator of human rights or development that you take, these
four groups are always disproportionately represented, which is proof
of structural inequality. It was also explained to me that Hindutva
(Hindu Fundamentalist) forces are allying themselves with global
market forces, leading to ever greater divisions in Indian society.
While global market forces widen the gap between the rich and poor,
hindutva forces divide the poor from eachother to distract them from
their real problems. Hindus are pitted against muslims, and higher
castes against dalits. Meanwhile, the economic elite continue largely
unhindered in their neo-liberalist project. Caste these days is not
just religiously-sanctioned oppression; it is being entrenched by neo-
liberalism.

Rallies and marches took place throughout the day, every day, winding
their way around the forum, inevitably accompanied by loud drumming,
dancing, singing and chanting. There were anti-Narmada Dam
campaigners, Hiroshima survivors, Bhopal gas victims, liberation
theologists, Mumbai slum-dwellers, Peruvian peasants' groups, South
Korean socialists, Nepali and Burmese students, Tibetan monks, dalit
organisations, indigenous peoples' groups, trade unions, Sri Lankan
and Bhutanese refugees, Queer rights groups, UK trotskyists, Japanese
anti-nuclear campaigners, Pakistani and Indonesian social forum
coalitions, Catholic anti-debt campaigners, Muslim groups, Brazilian
farmers, Italian communists, Venezuelan Bolivarian revolutionaries,
migrant worker organisations, Palestinian groups, and US anti-war
coalitions, to name just a few. The constant rallying and vibrant
cultural expression of the impossibly diverse array of groups in
resistance created a sense of euphoria and was inspiring to all forum
participants. One gained the sense that, worldwide, people everywhere
were fighting back, and that for the first time in history, a truly
global, interconnected culture of resistance was in the process of
being created. However, we must realise that as inspiring as the
World Social Forum was for many of us, we cannot be content with that
euphoria, as we still have a long fight ahead of us.

There were other manifestations of cultural expression as well. There
were all manner of musical and theatrical performances at all hours,
spread across seven stages throughout the vast Nesco Grounds. There
were also two cinemas at the World Social Forum grounds which
screened movies and documentaries from all parts of the world,
largely concerning social justice. So the Forum was far from being
just a conference; it was a festival of the oppressed.

There were several events held before, during, and after the World
Social Forum, planned and funded autonomously, though not in
opposition to the main event. One such event was the Third Inter-
Continental Youth Camp, which saw an estimated 7000 young people from
all over the world camp out at a local highschool to discuss and
strategise around the specific problems of youth. The first two youth
camps were held in Porto Alegre and were created to provide a greater
democratic space and participatory structure for discussion and
strategising than the World Social Forum allowed. Like the social
forum process, the youth camp process has been enthusiastically
adopted by social movements around the world with camps already held
on several continents.

Another parallel event was the World Parliamentary Forum. This was a
space dedicated to progressive and left-wing politicians from
different countries to get together to discuss electoral strategies
and how political parties should relate to social movements.

Events that followed the World Social Forum included the Land Mela
(for groups to discuss land-rights issues and struggles by rural
workers) and the People's World Water Forum (to strategise over water-
rights and issues concerning sovereignty over natural resources).

The main criticism of the World Social Forum is that there are no
formal outcomes. The Forum is still a relatively new phenomenon and
is still finding its feet, and although there have been no official
outcomes, there have been hundreds of unofficial outcomes, such as
the forging of friendships, new alliances, coalitions, and
relationships, increased South-South dialogue, and increased dialogue
between the world's social movements as a whole. There are a number
of ongoing debates about the future of the forum around issues such
as its structure, which I will discuss in due course.

Although the World Social Forum in Mumbai this year has been widely
hailed as an overwhelming success, it was characterised by widespread
critical self-reflection about the WSF process itself, which should
be seen as a healthy development. After all, if the WSF is truly to
embody the hope and aspirations of the world's social movements it
must be always open to scrutiny and constructive criticism, so that
it can remain relevant as a tool for the growing global resistance
against neo-liberalism. In this light, I wish to offer my
observations on some of the failures or shortcomings of the WSF.

I believe that the WSF has placed far too much emphasis on big-name
speakers and the usual left-wing superstars. The WSF paid for around
80 speakers to come and address the forum, which is an immense drain
on funds which could be better spent on improving facilities for all
of the forum's participants (such as a better translation system;
something that is urgently required if the forum is to become truly
internationalist), rather than just heaping privelege on an elite
few. With the exception of a few grassroots activists like Medha
Patkar, the speakers largely represented governments, parties, and
powerful international NGOs. I believe that emphasis and priority
should be given to true grassroots activists, and that
parliamentarians should be given the back seat, rather than vice-
versa. If the big-name speakers' flights and accomodation hadn't been
paid for by the WSF would they have bothered to come at all? Are they
interested in what we have to say or are they content just lecturing
us? Notable politicians who were paid to come and speak at the Forum
included Nguyen Thi Binh, the vice-president of Vietnam; Jeremy
Corbin, a British Labour Party MP; Satu Hasi, the Minister for
Environment in Finland; and V.P. Singh, the former Prime Minister of
India. Although supposedly "progressive", many of these politicians
have been guilty of implementing neo-liberal measures that the WSF
supposedly opposes. A stark example is the invitation that the WSF
extended to the former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister, Digvijay Singh.
He spoke about the contemporary relevance of Gandhian thought and the
importance of peoples' participation in the political process, but
many felt that his rhetoric was not consistent with his record as a
politician, and that his record was not consistent with the WSF's
principles. He was challenged by a spontaneous demonstration of
adivasis and anti-dam activists who held him culpable for his
complicity in the notorious and controversial Narmada Valley dam
project, which has ousted hundreds of thousands of tribal people and
rural dwellers from their homes without compensation or resettlement
measures.

Alex Callinicos of the Socialist Workers' Party in Britain recently
wrote in an article that the fact "that a former senior US official
[Joseph Stiglitz] came to debate with us is a real tribute to the
movement's power". Joseph Stiglitz was an official under the Clinton
administration and also served as the Chief Economist of the World
Bank before breaking ranks after the East Asian financial crisis. He
has written a well-known book entitled Globalisation and its
discontents, but rather than opposing neo-liberalism outright, he
merely advocates a moderated version of it. While I share Callinicos'
enthusiasm about the movement's strength, the fact of the matter is
that Stiglitz did not come to debate with us; he had his way paid by
the WSF.

Some of the big-name speakers were genuine activists, and writers and
intellectuals whom I respect very much. But to be honest, the big
events held with these characters were nowhere near as exciting,
enthusiastic or participatory as the hundreds of smaller, self-
organised events, where there were more opportunities to debate and
contribute from the floor. We need fresh ideas, solutions and
visions, not lectures and rhetoric. Forum participants should demand
to be treated as participants, rather than just as a passive audience
seated in rows facing the dais, passively receiving wisdom from the
designated speakers. While we are fighting for globalisation from
below, some have cynically remarked that what we are receiving
instead from the WSF is "globalisation from Bello". But perhaps this
is unfair to Walden Bello, who I respect very much. Milan Rai, an
Indian activist and political writer described his take on the matter
as such: "much of the WSF process is like this: very good people,
very good intentions, largely one-way communication, a lack of
structured [participatory] debate and a mysterious process of
decision-making somewhere off stage." The important question that
arises is how can the forum become a truly horizontal participatory
meeting of minds - for real dialogue - and not simply a top-down
affair with no space for genuine participation and where the rigid
divide between speakers and audience is maintained?

Lack of transparency is another matter of concern. The organising
committees are highly removed from the WSF's constituents, and
although it would be relatively simple to create greater
transparency, the WSF seems to have no interest in doing so. All they
would have to do is publish the minutes of their meetings and the
decisions reached, along with the names of people responsible for
certain initiatives, on the internet. This would create instant
transparency and accountability. But the WSF organising committees
are dominated by large international NGOs with little history of
democratic practice.

The opening session of the WSF witnessed something very unusual: a
protest against the WSF itself. A hundred or so disabled people who
were activists of disabled-rights and other causes, chanted "WSF!
Shame! Shame!" Their rally was followed by a candlelight vigil. They
were angry that disability was not even on the Forum's agenda, and
that many venues were inaccessible to people in wheelchairs.

The WSF was also challenged from without, most notably by the
oppositional grouping calling itself Mumbai Resistance. They
organised a rival forum, just across the highway from the WSF, in
which 310 organisations and 5000 people participated. The majority of
the participants were peasant farmers and rural activists involved in
Maoist organisations. In fact, the Maoist ILPS (International League
of Peoples' Struggles) was the driving force behind Mumbai
Resistance, who resolved to hold the rival forum at a meeting of
theirs in July 2003 in the Netherlands. One of MR's critiques of the
WSF is that it has accepted funds in the past from imperialist
governments and funding agencies who are actively seeking to coopt
global dissent. The governments of France and Germany have donated to
past WSFs, as have organisations like the Ford and Rockefeller
Foundations. Many feel that the WSF's legitimacy in the Global
Justice Movement has therefore been compromised. A second critique of
MR's is that the WSF has allowed the participation of NGOs and
politicians who have been complicit in the neo-liberal project, while
at the same time excluding militant armed organisations from
participating. For example, the Zapatistas of Mexico, PWG (Peoples'
War Group) of India, and FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of
Colombia) have all been barred from participating. MR feels that
genuine peoples' movements should be emphasised and given prominence
rather than NGOs.

The seeds of MR were sown at the Asian Social Forum in Hyderabad in
January 2003. One incident in particular led to a growing critique of
the WSF process in India, and ultimately, to a solid core of people
splitting with the social forum project altogether: During the ASF,
there was a protest of mainly dalit women, at an international
investors meeting at a luxury hotel, hosted by chief minister of
Andhra Pradesh, Chandrababu Naidu, who is an ardent supporter of neo-
liberalism. Hundreds of women were arrested and brutalised by police,
yet there was no outcry from the organisers. They responded by saying
that the women had not sought their permission to protest.

MR states that its aim is the "continuation of the militant
traditions set in the anti-globalisation and anti-war movements that
assumed a new intensity after seattle... this event will be in
contrast to the diffused and unfocused nature of the WSF gatherings
organised by imperialist-funded NGOs and political formations that
support the process of globalisation".

Many participants in the WSF were dismayed that the Left was
fracturing itself at precisely the moment in history when the WSF was
trying so hard to bring the Left together. The WSF is by no means
perfect, but it is up to its participants to challenge and change it
from within. It seems hasty to abandon a project that is only in its
fourth year and is still very much in the making; especially in light
of the fact that it has so far had so much success and has displayed
so much potential. Arundhati Roy and Michael Albert were two
prominent activists who spoke at both forums, in order to overcome
the divisions.

Alex Callinicos felt that MR was a flop and points out
that "cultivating revolutionary purity for its own sake merely
isolates you from those whose interests you claim to represent".

The inaugural WSF in Porto Alegre was largely seen to have been
oppositional in nature, in that it defined itself in opposition to
the World Economic Forum and their neo-liberal project. The second
WSF however was about the renewal of hope, and it was at this forum
that the slogan "Another World Is Possible!" first appeared. The
third WSF centred around the articulation of concrete alternatives.
As was previously mentioned, the WSF this year in Mumbai, however,
was largely characterised by self-reflection and internal critique of
the WSF process itself. But this was good-natured and done in the
interests of refining the WSF process and making it more democratic,
transparent, accountable, representative, participatory, and useful
as a tool for the world's social movements. This healthy internal
scrutiny was no doubt triggerred, in part, by the critiques of MR.
Many of the issues that MR raised forced WSF participants to
critically reflect on the WSF process that they had so far
uncritically accepted.

After all, MR's criticisms weren't entirely unvalid. They had the
effect of putting the WSF Organising Committee on the defensive. In
actual fact, the Organising Committee this year actually chose to
reject millions of dollars worth of grants from the Ford Foundation,
the British Government's Department for International Development,
the European Union, and the MacArthur Foundation, in order to
maintain its integrity as an anti-neoliberal body. But these
organisations still fund many of the rich and powerful NGOs that
participate in the WSF, and the WSF asks no questions about their
funding. Elements of the Organising Committe had accepted the
validity of MR's criticisms about funding and thus worked to remedy
them. This shows that MR need not have isolated itself and split from
the WSF altogether, as the WSF is not a monolith and is clearly open
to influence and challenges from its constituents.

In what is a further reflection of the WSF's introspection about its
own relevance to the Global Justice Movement, two books were released
this year to coincide with the WSF event in January: a collection of
essays entitled "WSF: Challenging Empires" published by the Viveka
Foundation, and another collection called "A Movement of Movements:
Is Another World Really Possible?" published by Verso. They feature
works by Chico Whitaker, Michael Albert, Arundhati Roy, Walden Bello,
Jose Bove, Michael Hardt, Naomi Klein, Subcomandante Marcos, and
dozens of other activists and intellectuals covering the full
spectrum of opinion and perspective on the WSF. They are the first
books of their kind dedicated to exploring all aspects of the WSF
phenomenon, and are remarkable achievements. They explore the ongoing
debates that are taking place within the WSF and within the wider
movement, not least of which is the participation of NGOs in the
Social Forum process.

The presence of NGOs was uncontroversial in Brazil but was the
subject of heated debate in India. Much of the Indian left has
developed a scathing critique of NGOs as they feel that wealthy
international "development" or policy-orientated NGOs, such as Oxfam
or Amnesty, have no consonance with people struggling at the
grassroots and share little in common with genuine social movements.
Large international NGOs are often funded and contracted by
International Financial Institutions such as the IMF, World Bank, and
Asian Development Bank to carry out development projects which seldom
pose a threat to neo-liberalism. After all, NGOs must serve the
interests of their donors not of the people that they supposedly wish
to help. For the oppressor, aid is an important tool and weapon, and
NGOs are all too often their willing pawns. At the WSF this year,
criticism of NGOs by the poor seemed to be a recurrent theme. A
women's rights activist from Afghanistan said that in her country
there are 6000 expatriate NGO-employees getting huge salaries for
jobs that could be done by Afghans. Aid given by governments to
Afghanistan goes towards paying the salaries of foreign bureaucrats
rather than actually assisting those in need. In situations like
Afghanistan, NGOs often overshadow and take the place of government
services, aren't accountable, and are under pressure to show results
quickly in order to secure further funding. They therefore are
interested only in short-term projects. Alex Callinicos says that
NGOs are also responsible for "creaming off activists into well-paid
bureaucratic jobs and confining movements back to relatively narrow
issues". Many people feel that the WSF leadership must shift from the
rich and powerful NGOs to the more politicised grassroots
organisations with a serious social base who are genuinely involved
in mass movements. Many warn against NGOs monopolising the entire
process of dissent and crowding out more radical groupings. But the
WSF is an open space, welcome to all individuals and groups opposed
to neo-liberalism. Some of these critiques of NGOs are valid, but
what we must remember is that for many newly-politicised young
people, NGOs like Greenpeace and Amnesty are their first port-of-
call. Their supporter bases are a vital audience for us and it is to
them that we must reach out without prejudice.

Just as there is concern in some quarters of the WSF about the
involvement of NGOs, there is also concern around the involvement of
political parties. The common thread is the feeling that neither NGOs
nor political parties have a monopoly over the power to achieve
change. Hillary Wainwright, editor of Red Pepper, asserts that "the
movements of the oppressed and marginalised need autonomy to develop
and identify their own needs, identities, and sources of power."
Actually, the WSF's Charter of Principles excludes political parties
from participating in the forum in their official capacities, with
the view to strengthen independent social movements. There is much
ambiguity about this specific clause, as it is clear that the Forum
is not anti-party seeing that the Worker's Party (PT) in Brazil was
central in the organisation of the first three Social Forums, just as
the Communist Party of India (Marxist) was central in the
organisation of this year's forum. There is a growing lobby within
the WSF to remove the clause that prevents parties from
participating. However, this clause doesn't seem to have prevented
their participation in the past.

There is an ongoing debate around the exact nature of the
relationship between social movements and political parties.
Traditional parties, whether of the Leninist or Social Democratic
kind, have historically found it difficult to relate to the wider
movement. Fausto Bertinotti of the Refoundation Communist Party in
Italy insists, however, that parties are finally learning and opening
themselves up: "The collective intellect is in the movement, and the
party is contributing to that, but it cannot in itself be that
collective intellect". Independent social movements are still
sceptical though. Hillary Wainwright writes: "The experience of
people being represented has become so diminished that many people
feel that only a pure form of direct democracy has any
authenticity... traditional parties of the left have long acted as if
knowledge can be centralised for dissemination to a passive
membership. The mass membership have not been seen as creative,
knowing, autonomous, interconnected human beings; they have been
treated as supporters, voting fodder..." The challenge for political
parties is how to participate in the new ways of organising adopted
by the WSF and by many anarchist-inspired social movements. The
central feature of the WSF's method is the philosophy of 'Open
Space', which is the subject of another heated debate currently
taking place within the WSF process.

The philosophy of Open Space holds that the maximum inclusion of
participants must take precedence over agenda-setting, which can only
lead the alienation and exclusion of participants who do not agree to
the common agenda. The organisers see the forum as an arena, not an
actor. There is a clause in the Charter of Principles which states
that the Forum will not ever issue any final declarations or
resolutions that claim to represent the views of all forum
participants in their entirety. However, the forum does not
discourage groups or coalitions from organising themselves and
issuing their own declarations and resolutions, as long as they do
not do so in the name of the forum as a whole. There are some within
the forum that are challenging the idea of Open Space, and wish to
turn the WSF into some sort of official organisation with a
leadership heirarchy that can pass final resolutions. It would seem a
shame not to be able to harness the energy and potential of the
social forums, but it would seem a similar shame to alienate sections
of the movement through the elimination of the open space. The task
must surely be to maintain the open-space while still developing
means to harness the energy and power of the social movements. For
this, we must embrace the idea of mutual reponsibility. The
organisers of the forums have a responsibility to provide the open
space, while the actors within the open space are responsible for
organising themselves and are completely free to form their own
strategic alliances and issue proposals or calls-to-action. In this
way, the WSF can avoid becoming a monolith, and remain a factory of
ideas and an incubator of new initiatives. Wainwright feels that the
WSF's Open Space philosophy is vital to creating a global political
culture that welcomes open debate as the only way of democratically
constructing that "other world" that we all aspire to.

As for the future of the WSF, there have been suggestions that it go
from being an annual event to a bi-annual or tri-annual event. Some
feel that the spectacle of the event is overshadowing the process
that must support it, and that the process of the circulation of
consciousness and struggle should be the priority, rather than the
events themselves. The Social Forum events should just be seen as the
culmination of the ongoing process. The event is merely about
discussion and debate, whereas the process is about real struggle
against the powers.

There has also been a lot of talk about the next World Social Forum
being held somewhere in Africa, possibly in Egypt. After having moved
from South America to Asia, the next logical step for the WSF would
be to move to Africa. The African Continent has already held a
successful Pan-African Social Forum, demonstrating its enthusiasm in
support of the WSF process. In addition to expanding geographically,
the WSF must find a way to expand socially as well, in order to reach
deep into the most marginalised sectors of society and narrow, if not
eliminate, the gap between the Left and the world's most oppressed,
exploited, and excluded communities.

The conclusion of the forum saw many delegates from the North return
home to relatively comfortable lives. For many activists in India
however, there was no respite. Immediately after the Closing Ceremony
of the WSF, hundreds of adivasis from the Narmada Bachao Andolan
(Save Narmada Movement) converged on the Maharashtra State Government
Palace for an indefinite sit-in. Their aim was to protest against the
proposed raising of the height of the Sardar Sarovar Dam which, due
to an increase in water level, would displace 350,000 people from the
Narmada Valley.

Meanwhile, trade unions began to agitate for a General Strike against
privatisation as well as against a supreme court ruling which banned
the right to strike. Originally called by central and state
government employees' unions and banking unions, the strike attracted
the support of coal mine and steel plant workers, transport workers,
as well as the agricultural sector. The ban on strikes is merely just
one aspect of the Vajpayee government's pro-corporate, anti-people
agenda. The agricultural sector in India has been particularly hard-
hit by the policies of deregulation, liberalisation and
privatisation. There has been the reversal of land reforms, removal
of subsidies, withdrawal of restrictions on imports, and the
privatisation of electricity, irrigation, and micro-credit. In fact,
25,000 farmers in India have committed suicide since these neo-
liberal policies came into being, due to the plummetting prices of
their produce, soaring operating costs, inability to compete with
dumped imports, reduced work for agricultural labourers, reduced
access to microcredit, being steeped in debt, and growing food
insecurity. The General Strike which took place in India on February
24, 2004 was a huge victory for the Indian Left, as was the hugely
successful World Social Forum held in Mumbai the month before. One
can only hope that the Indian left, as well as social movements
everywhere, will live off the inspiration that the WSF generated for
a long time to come, and use that optimism to sustain them in what
will be a long and protracted fight against neo-liberalism for a new
and better world.

Stop baby sea turtles from being crushed!