(Cf. In 1996, Nader "opted to cap his campaign expenditures at
$5,000 and ended up with 581,000 votes.  Nader's DPV: $0.01," says
Norman Solomon in "News That Still Goes Unreported: 'Dollars Per
Vote'" at <http://www.fair.org/media-beat/980604.html> -- our
Consumer Advocate sure knows how to get his money's worth).

***** Ooops Department: Last month, in a column about "Dollars Per Vote" (the amount of money a candidate spends for each vote received), I wrote that in the 1996 general election, "the man who finished fourth in the presidential balloting, Ralph Nader, opted to cap his campaign expenditures at $5,000 and ended up with 581,000 votes." But I made the mistake of citing only a preliminary tally of ballots cast for him. The official, final results show that Nader actually received 685,128 votes nationwide. So, Nader spent about seven-tenths of a penny per vote. Compare that to the "DPV" totals of the men who ran ahead of him in the '96 presidential race: Bill Clinton, $1.36; Bob Dole, $1.63; Ross Perot, $3.67.

(Norman Solomon, "Bumpy Media Road For A Wellstone Presidential
Drive," <http://www.fair.org/media-beat/980716.html>)   *****
--
Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus: