JD wrote:
"Wagner's music is better than it sounds." -- Mark Twain (paraphrased).

Mark Twain was making a perceptive comment on contemporary
American standards of musical performance, not a philistine
denegration of one of the greatest composers ever.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even
downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all
things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true."  (N.
Weiner)