On Monday, March 29, 2004 at 13:16:10 (-0500) Yoshie Furuhashi writes:

Yes, "more than 1,000 supporters of cleric Muqtada al-Sadr
demonstrated peacefully," but that is a tiny minority in the nation
of 24,683,313 (July 2003 est.,
<http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/iz.html>), and
even counting any and all who have spoken to the press,
demonstrated, and taken up arms against the occupation, you would
still end up with a minority of the Iraqi population.  ...

Let me get this right: since only 1,000 out of 24 million came out for a very vocal demonstration, that shows how cowed they are; therefore, 10,000 in the U.S., keeping proportions constant, shows the same thing?

Bill

Washington has yet to shut down a publication (e.g., _War Times_) that opposes the occupation in the United States, and it won't in the foreseeable future. I don't think that any major US newspaper has come out editorially against the continuing occupation (as opposed to the invasion, which some of them did oppose). -- Yoshie

* Calendars of Events in Columbus:
<http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>,
* Student International Forum: <http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/>