Ellen:

Can I see a table of contents?    Besides  deficits, inflation, and
wealth, do you cover anything social welfare-y, such as poverty,
privatization of social security, etc? I am looking for a new text for
my "Political Economy of Social Welfare" class (undergraduate juniors,
most of whom have little or no economics background)?

Joel Blau

Frank, Ellen wrote:

Let me make a plug for my new book The Raw Deal: How Myths and Misinformation
About Deficits, Inflation and Wealth Impoverish America, due out from
Beacon Press next month.  It is written for a lay reader and could
easily be used in an intro college course.
Ellen Frank

i found "steal this idea" quite readable, as a layperson.

the one unasked for piece of advice that i would give all of you
"technical" authors is to not assume that the general audience
understands and subscribes to the axioms or assumptions or models (of
thought, analysis) of your field.

also, IMHO, your reader's understanding of your book boils down to
her/his ability to reduce your reasoning down to some basic convictions
she/he holds. often these are political and moral convictions and
admittedly are extremely difficult to contest/displace. but ignoring
them altogether, results in limiting your readership to the converted
(those that share your moral/political positions).

i was recently reading peter singer's analysis of george w bush's
positions on various moral issues, in his (singer's) new book. though
some might disagree with his reasoning, (again IMHO) his style is
comprehensive yet readable.

--ravi