I just received an article by Marxmail subscriber A. Mani that is a bit
too long to post to the list but it can be read in its entirety at:

http://www.marxmail.org/stat6.htm

Here is the opening paragraph:

On Some Recent Misuse of Statistical Data.

A.Mani

The present article deals with some of the many instances of wrong usage
of available statistical information by different vested interests in
both 'academic garb' and less literate garbs. In particular we deal with
gross and deliberate misrepresentation of present-day Indian statistics
by the 'CSO', the Planning Commission and other Central Govt. bodies.
Interestingly most of the statistical information presented in the last
few years have much to say about negative agricultural growth,
industrial recession and reduction in employment. . . though for this
election year, they have taken recourse to at best idiotic statistical
tricks, omissions and commissions.

-- Marxism list: www.marxmail.org