Louis:

> I believe it. I worked with people like him
> in Houston. A guy in the next cubicle from me
> used to read the bible at lunch.

I used to work with a guy who used to read the bible
at lunch too, although he was not in the next cubicle
from me. After all, I was a "dignified" product
manager with a personal office. Not that I have never
worked in cubicles either. Eventually we all had
losted our offices and migrated to cubicles, except
the upper management, of course.

I had always wondered what he found in reading that
same book day after day. His reading of the bible had
lasted for about three years and this is all I know
since this was the length of my tenure at that firm.

It would be quite useful for our professor friends to
spend some time in some those cubicles to get in touch
with some simple things that they have no hope to read
in those books, journals and the like that they spend
their lives in.

By the way, if they don't get the opprtunity, I
strongly recommend the movie "Office Space".

Here is a review of that movie.

Best,

Sabri

++++++++++

Office Space

(R)

Peter: Ron Livingston
Joanna: Jennifer Aniston
Milton: Stephen Root
Bill Lumbergh: Gary Cole
Michael Bolton: David Herman
Samir: Ajay Naidu
Tom Smykowski: Richard Riehle
Lawrence: Diedrich Bader
Anne: Alexandra Wentworth

Written and directed by Mike Judge, based on his
``Milton'' animated shorts. Running time: 90 minutes.
Rated R (for language and brief sexuality).

BY ROGER EBERT

Mike Judge's ``Office Space'' is a comic cry of rage
against the nightmare of modern office life. It has
many of the same complaints as ``Dilbert'' and the
movie ``Clockwatchers'' and, for that matter, the
works of Kafka and the Book of Job. It is about work
that crushes the spirit. Office cubicles are cells,
supervisors are the wardens, and modern management
theory is skewed to employ as many managers and as few
workers as possible.

As the movie opens, a cubicle slave named Peter (Ron
Livingston) is being reminded by his smarmy supervisor
(Gary Cole) that all reports now carry a cover sheet.
``Yes, I know,'' he says. ``I forgot. It was a silly
mistake. It won't happen again.'' Before long another
manager reminds him about the cover sheets. ``Yes, I
know,'' he says. Then another manager. And another.
Logic suggests that when more than one supervisor
conveys the same trivial information, their jobs
overlap, and all supervisors after the first one
should be shredded.

Peter hates his job. So do all of his co-workers,
although one of them, Milton (Stephen Root), has found
refuge through an obsessive defense of his cubicle,
his radio and his stapler. Milton's cubicle is
relocated so many times that eventually it appears to
have no entrance or exit; he's walled-in on every
side. You may recognize him as the hero of cartoons
that played on ``Saturday Night Live,'' where
strangers were always arriving to use his cubicle as
storage space for cardboard boxes.

Mike Judge, who gained fame through MTV's ``Beavis and
Butt-Head,'' and made the droll animated film ``Beavis
and Butt-Head Do America'' (1996), has taken his
``SNL'' Milton cartoons as an inspiration for this
live-action comedy, which uses Orwellian satirical
techniques to fight the cubicle police: No individual
detail of office routine is too absurd to be believed,
but together they add up to stark, staring insanity.

Peter has two friends at work: Michael Bolton (David
Herman) and Samir (Ajay Naidu). No, not that Michael
Bolton, Michael patiently explains. They flee the
office for coffee breaks (demonstrating that Starbucks
doesn't really sell coffee--it sells escape from the
office).

Peter is in love with the waitress at the chain
restaurant across the parking lot. Her name is Joanna
(Jennifer Aniston) and she has problems with
management, too. She's required to wear a minimum of
15 funny buttons on the suspenders of her uniform; the
buttons are called ``flair'' in company lingo, and her
manager suggests that wearing only the minimum flair
suggests the wrong spirit (another waiter has ``45
flairs'' and looks like an exhibit at a trivia
convention).

The movie's dialogue is smart. It doesn't just chug
along making plot points. Consider, for example,
Michael Bolton's plan for revenge against the company.
He has a software program that would round off
payments to the next-lowest penny and deposit the
proceeds in their checking account. Hey, you're
thinking--that's not original! A dumb movie would
pretend it was.

Not ``Office Space,'' where Peter says he thinks he's
heard of that before, and Michael says, ``Yeah, they
did it in `Superman III.' Also, a bunch of hackers
tried it in the '70s. One got arrested.''

The movie's turning point comes when Peter seeks help
from an ``occupational hypnotherapist.'' He's put in a
trance with long-lasting results; he cuts work, goes
fishing, guts fish at his desk and tells efficiency
experts he actually works only 15 minutes a week. The
experts like his attitude and suggest he be promoted.
Meanwhile, the Milton problem is ticking like a time
bomb, especially after Milton's cubicle is relocated
to a basement storage area.

``Office Space'' is like the evil twin of
``Clockwatchers.'' Both movies are about the ways
corporations standardize office routines, so that
workers are interchangeable and can be paid as little
as possible.

``Clockwatchers'' was about the lowest rung on the
employment ladder--daily temps--but ``Office Space''
suggests that regular employment is even worse,
because it's a life sentence. Asked to describe his
state of mind to the therapist, Peter says, ``Since I
started working, every single day has been worse than
the day before, so that every day you see me is the
worst day of my life.''

Judge, an animator until now, treats his characters a
little like cartoon creatures. That works. Nuances of
behavior are not necessary, because in the cubicle
world every personality trait is magnified, and the
captives stagger forth like grotesques. There is a
moment in the movie when the heroes take a baseball
bat to a malfunctioning copier. Reader, who has not
felt the same?