From: PEN-L list [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of michael a.
lebowitz
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 2:22 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEN-L] new megafraud controversy raging in Venezuela:
imperialism or Chavez

Published: Friday, June 04, 2004
Bylined to: Patrick J. O'Donoghue

Chavez Frias blamed for Miss Venezuela's poor showing in Miss Universe

Analyzing the failure of Venezuela to figure in the final 5 candidates
of the Miss Universe contest held in Quito, Ecuador, some Venezuelan
luminaries are throwing the blame on Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez
Frias.

Beauty contest expert, Julio Rodriguez says political reasons dominated
the exclusion of clear favorite, Ana Karina Anez ... "it's due to the
tense situation between Venezuelan and the USA ... we must remember that
it's a US-based event ... she should have been the last 5 ... I cannot
see any other motive."

Nidal Nouahied, who designed Miss Venezuela's national dress agrees that
politics did enter the contest this year ... "we are talking about a US
company that disagrees with the process developing in Venezuela ...
Lebanon and Israel are always excluded for the same reason."

Star Models Agency director, Elizabeth Linares complains that Ana Karina
had everything it takes to win and showed plenty of security ... "tense
and stringent relations between Venezuela and the USA will hinder
everything we do in international contests ... beauty has nothing to do
with politics ... but!"

The exclusion of Miss Venezuela broke Venezuela's record of 21 finals
... three times as runner up: Marena Bencomo (1996), Veruska Ramirez
(1997) y Mariangel Ruiz (2003).

Ruiz says she's as shocked as the rest of the Nation because people were
certain the Venezuelan girl would win ... money was no object in the
preparing Anez for the event but she rules out the political factor,
pointing to the non-political character of the contest.

Linares revives the theory that Miss Universe tycoon, Donald Trump is
getting his own back after the (Miss Universe Alicia Machado rumpus
several years ago but other experts reject the theory outright.
* Some people suggest that it is time to change the Venezuelan
prototype, insisting that future Miss Venezuelas beef up on the question
part and learn to speak English.

Miss Venezuela organizer, Osmel Sousa admits he wasn't too happy with
Ana Karina's performance ... "she was a bit nervous, a bit passive
before the preliminary jury."