I know practically nothing about Chechnya, but isn't it possible that both Lou and
Chris
are partially correct.  After perhaps centuries -- I don't pretend to know the history
--
of oppression, many people there retreat into a movement for fundamentalist separatism.

I think of the Kurds, whose resistance to the Turks seems heroic, but who seem less
appealing when they work with the US in Iraq.  I guess everybody has their good Kurds
and
their bad Kurds.

I sympathize with the Chechen rebels when they struggled against the disgusting
Yeltsin,
but I doubt that I would have admired the world that they would have created had a
won.  I
don't doubt that they did some of the things that Chris says they did.  Yet I can
believe
the police exploded apartment buildings in Russia to win sympathy for the war in
Chechnya.

Once you set up a dysfunctional situation by way of tyranny, neat outcomes are likely.
was in Paris when the show was ousted.  The ayatollah sounded very good before he won
power.

Anyway, this discussion cannot be reduced to simple good guys and bad guys.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

Tel. 530-898-5321