Actually, I answered this question. Chris just didn't like my answer. Of
course, I was referring to how to deal with a series of problems in the
Caucasus, not just the Dagestani events used by Putin as a pretext to renounce
the peace accords with Chechnya, to declare that a Russian puppet government set
up in 1996 is now the real government in Chechnya, and to massively invade
Chechnya.
---

Please provide evidence that it was a "pretext." Come on, Putin starts an incredibly expensive war over a scrap of ground Russia had tried its best to forget about since 1996? For what reason? To be mean? Because Russians just constitutionally hate Chechens?

Maskhadov's regime was a "puppet government"????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That must have been a typo.

No, you have not answered my question. Because you apparently refuse to see that there was a massive threat to Russia in 1999. Blaming it on the wreckage caused by the first war is like blaming Hitler on the Treaty of Versailles -- there's something to it, but it ain't quite the whole story.

Frankly, if Lieven is an "apologist for Russian imperialism," this seems to be apologetics for throat-slitting, slave-trading warlordism, which, uh, is what Free Ichkeria was.

Do you Yahoo!?