I think that someone's move from "left" to "right" on the political spectrum varies a
lot among individuals. Sometimes, a conservative is a liberal who's been mugged (to
quote the cliché). On a larger scale, a lot of people have shifted right simply
because the leftist mass movement has atomized due to political disappointment,
government subversion (e.g., Cointelpro against the "new" left of the 1960s), and
sometimes superficial victories (e.g., Nixon's (temporary) abolition of the draft).
Sometimes leftist sectarianism, itself a sign of the movement's decline, contributes
to the process (as when some jerk criticizes a doubter as being a class traitor or
whatever). Economic incentives help the rightward move, since most of capitalism
rewards obedience to the system and the like. Those who publicly break with their old
views and espouse establishmentarian ones (e.g., the "god that failed" crowd) often
get big rewards (e.g., CIA subsidies for their journals). These, of course, make it
hard to "go back."

(As usual, the words "right" and "left" are not used rigorously.)

Jim Devine [EMAIL PROTECTED] &  http://bellarmine.lmu.edu/~jdevine

-