From: "David B. Shemano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: [PEN-L] Sowell

> Mr. Sartesian writes:
>
> >> It, the rise in wages, is not incompatible with increasing
unemployment, but
> >> neither is it incompatible with rising employment.  Sowell, or whoever
wants
> >> to argue this point from the right, makes a superficial cause and
effect
> >> between wage rates and employment levels, where there is none.
> >>
> >> And by the way, its is the creation of such superficial cause and
effect
> >> links, and the propagation of them as profound economic insights that
> >> defines a hack.
>
> For the third time, neither Sowell, nor any other neoclassical economist I
know of, has ever argued that rising wages causes unemployment.  Obviously,
if wages are rising, people who might otherwise be at the beach will be
drawn into the workforce.  The argument is about the effect of minimum wage
laws, and if you can't figure out the difference between minimum wage laws
and rising wages, be a little more careful before you call somebody a hack.

> Now that I got that off my chest, I am off to see Simon and Garfunkel at
the Hollywood Bowl.  When I get back, how about a discussion of explaining
the price of concert tickets from a Marxist perspective?