It's very common to scaremonger people with "oh no! what if the government
of country X, a key source of resource Y, were to be replaced by one less
friendly to the United States?" This needs to be challenged.

For this to be a real threat, the "hostile" government would have to be so
"hostile" that they would rather destroy the resource in question, or leave
it in the ground, rather than sell it on the world market. There's one
world market for oil. Either they sell the oil, or they don't. If they sell
it, it makes no difference whether they like the United States or not.

It could be argued that Saudi Arabia could be more of a price hawk than it
is, given its reserves. It's not clear how much difference this would
really make, because although they do care about what the U.S. government
thinks, they don't always bend to the U.S. on the price question and they
are also motivated by other considerations in not wanting the price to go
too high (e.g. not creating too big a motivation for substitution.) The
difference in price caused by a plausibly more hawkish Saudi policy would
not result in an "energy crisis" in this country, unless you think a
slightly higher price for oil constitutes a "crisis."