Sowell..I came to reject Marxism when I was studying affirmative action
programmes for black entrepreneurs.

Commentator: HOw is that??

Sowell..Well this black business owner benefitted from special loan rates
and other govt. incentives. However, he still had to pay a minimum wage. He
complained that these minimum wages were causing his profit to decline to
where he would soon be bankrupt and that he needed an increase in loan
rebates and other incentives.. Competitors claimed that the decline in his
business was the result of his products being inferior.

Commentator: Well what has this to do with Marx?

Sowell. Well when I suggested that we do an empirical study to find out that
if it was the inferiority of his proudcts that actually was causing the
decline in his business profts or the minimum wage requirements he rejected
this outright. He insisted that it was the level of incentives and
government subsidies combined with the minimum wage requirements.

Commentator : So how does this relate to Marx?

Sowell. Well isnt it obvious. This guy has an incentive to explain things as
lack of govt subsidies since he is dependent upon these affirmative action
programme and the complaint about minimum wages is an excuse for more
subsidies.. He wasnt interested in empirical truth or in finding which
explanation was correct. Now Marx thought that it was the goal that was
important but I now understood that Marx was wrong it is the incentives that
are most important in understanding this black businessman's answer not his
goal.

Commentator. But wouldnt Marx say that the goal is maximising profit and
since this man's profits are dependent upon govt. subsidies then this goal
provides him with the incentive to explain his lack of profits a priori by
suggesting that they are not large enough in the light of his being required
to pay minimum wages?

Sowell..Sorry. Im out of time. I have some hack wrirting to do for some guy
named Shemano.