Max wrote:

Frank also says Clintonesque center-hugging on economics -- free
trade, labor rights, privatization, etc. -- causes the culturally-
conservative worker's decision to hinge solely on God, guns, and
gays.

That's a good point. Since the top Democrats are so economically neoliberal that the Republicans have nothing to talk about except culture to distinguish themselves from the Democrats.

I haven't finished the book yet.  So far Frank's argument begs the
question of why we don't see  politics that is culturally
conservative and economically progressive, like the old populists
100 years ago.

Capitalism has already changed social relations to the point where there is no going back. Even many Republicans who want to ban gay marriage say they support civil union and/or non-discrimination against gay men and lesbians, just like Kerry and Edwards! -- Yoshie

* Critical Montages: <http://montages.blogspot.com/>
* Greens for Nader: <http://greensfornader.net/>
* Calendars of Events in Columbus:
<http://sif.org.ohio-state.edu/calendar.html>,