Although I am highly disappointed by the low level of
discourse on
Kerala/Chechnya, I
do have a serious question that might deflect the
discussion.

Are the ethnic hostilities something that would
naturally die out
without being
enflamed intentionally for political gains or are they
inevitable?
---

In the case of Russia/Chechnya, I think ethnic
divisions were dying out slowly over the Soviet period
for a variety of reasons (though Stalin's deportation
of Chechens and other groups and the violent
application of the Short Course in Western Ukraine and
the Baltics increased them in those areas).

In any case, they have gotten much much worse since
1991. Caucasians were depicted as happy-go-lucky
Bohemians on Soviet TV. They are portrayed as
gangsters, pimps and terrorists on contemporary
Russian TV.