An interesting piece! Apart from Islamic Rules, the body politics issue in
Iran has its origin mostly in the cultural codes of behavior. There are many
irreligious peoples who can’t consider changing sex as a normal phenomenon
because of their cultural roots. For example, you can’t believe that how
much I myself as an Iranian man goggled when a few years ago I discovered
that Mr. Donald McCloskey has became Mrs. Deirdre McCloskey or that how much
is exclamatory now that I am reading her _Crossing: A Memoir_. These
wonderments have not their origin so much in religion (I have no religion)
as in the cultural background. Therefore, it seems to me that the obstacles
in the changing sex in Iran are in the society itself rather than in
political scene in which the theocratic government is dominant. Of course,
this is not the case for Hijab as an incarnation of Islamic body politics in
Iran.

M. M.

"Changing Sex, Changing Islam" (In Iran, transsexuals, changing sex,
have been changing Islam as well, under its still theocratic
government):
<http://montages.blogspot.com/2004/08/changing-sex-changing-islam.html>.
--
Yoshie