just to note that a lot of the hidden assumptions that Paul has been talking
about in the context of PPP figures are actually there when you're comparing
figures for the same country over time.  I wrote a piece for my weblog this
morning (http://www.crookedtimber.org/archives/002321.html) about the fact
that the change in the income of the lowest quintile between 1978 and 2001
was $726, measured in 2001 dollars.  Since a Starbucks latte costs about
2.80 2001 dollars, this means that the lucky duckies in the lowest quintile
in 2001 were able to buy the 1978 consumption bundle, plus 259 cups of
coffee (roughly one every weekday).

dd