My master’s research was a thirteen-month study of a group of white
supremacist skinheads in Orlando, Florida in 1989 and 1990. I was trying
to figure where these little Nazis came from. Were they crazy? Did they
have abusive parents? Did black guys steal their girlfriends?  What I
found was they were responding to the very real phenomenon of
deindustrialization. The economic policies of Ronald Reagan opened the
door for manufacturing industries to close up shop and head across the
border and overseas in search of cheap labor.

If I work in a factory, I probably belong to a union and that union has
used collective bargaining to secure a decent wage, paths to promotion,
health care benefits, and maybe even a pension. I can work in an auto
plant or a textile mill and still buy a (small) house and send my kid to
(state) college. That’s the American Dream right there and it evaporated
under Reagan. Of the people to move out of the middle class in the
1980s, two-thirds moved downward, not up. And it got worse when Bill
Clinton signed NAFTA in 1993, accelerating manufacturing job loss and
replacing them with shitty, low-wage, no benefit service sector jobs.
Fifty years ago the number one employer in America was General Motors.
Now it’s Wal-Mart.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2016/03/11/who-the-hell-is-supporting-donald-trump/