[...]
After the Milwaukee debate, Mr. Poklinkoski told me that two of his members
who watched it came away as Sanders supporters. But Mr. Poklinkoski was
alarmed to hear that the men’s second choice was Mr. Trump. Mr. Poklinkoski
believes Mrs. Clinton could be vulnerable in Wisconsin.

“I’m worried about Trump versus Hillary,” Mr. Poklinkoski said. He noted
that at home Governor Walker had successfully portrayed himself as an
anti-tax, blue-collar politician, an image that helped him divide
Wisconsin’s workers during the state’s labor battles. “If you have a
right-wing populist, you can beat a corporate Democrat,” Mr. Poklinkoski
said. “Scott Walker did it three times here.”
[...]

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/13/opinion/campaign-stops/which-side-are-you-on-hillary.html

Which Side Are You On, Hillary?
By DAN KAUFMAN
MARCH 12, 2016

“We’ve got to stand up for unions,” Hillary Clinton declared in her closing
statement during the Democratic debate in Milwaukee last month. The line
offered the labor-friendly audience a comforting rebuke to Gov. Scott
Walker’s relentless attacks on Wisconsin’s unions. It generated passionate
applause.

But Mrs. Clinton’s show of support contrasted with her long indifference to
the concerns of organized labor. The results of Michigan’s primary last
week highlighted this problem; exit polls showed that Mrs. Clinton narrowly
lost union households to Senator Bernie Sanders. Over all, nearly 60
percent of Democratic voters thought free-trade agreements, which Mrs.
Clinton has generally supported, caused job losses. Mr. Sanders won a
majority of those voters, too, which raises the possibility of further
upsets on Tuesday in primaries in Illinois and Ohio, where opposition to
free-trade pacts is strong.

Mrs. Clinton’s troubles with labor began before she arrived in Washington.
>From 1986 to 1992, as a corporate lawyer in Arkansas, she served on the
board of Walmart. By then, Sam Walton, the company’s founder, was notorious
for his anti-union fervor; in the early 1970s, Mr. Walton hired an attorney
named John E. Tate to break up an organizing campaign at two Missouri
Walmart stores. For decades afterward, Mr. Tate drove Walmart’s successful
anti-union strategy. In 1988, Mr. Tate joined Walmart’s board, where he
served alongside Mrs. Clinton.

During Mrs. Clinton’s first presidential run, a former Walmart board member
told ABC News that he could not recall her ever defending unions during
more than 20 private board meetings. “She was not a dissenter,” Donald G.
Soderquist, the vice chairman of the board during Mrs. Clinton’s tenure,
told The Los Angeles Times in 2007. “She was a part of those decisions.”

“I’m always proud of Walmart and what we do and the way we do it better
than anybody else,” Mrs. Clinton said at a 1990 shareholders meeting in
Fayetteville, Ark. But over the years, as Walmart’s reputation was sullied
by allegations of unsafe working conditions, overtime theft and sex
discrimination, Mrs. Clinton distanced herself from the company. Still, the
Walton family’s fondness for her endures; in December, Alice L. Walton, Mr.
Walton’s daughter, donated more than $350,000 to the Hillary Victory Fund.

It is Mrs. Clinton’s past support for free-trade agreements, though, that
has most antagonized labor. In 1996, she said that the two-year-old North
American Free Trade Agreement was “proving its worth,” a position she
reaffirmed years later as a senator. In 2000, while running for her Senate
seat, Mrs. Clinton supported China’s entry into the World Trade
Organization and granting the country Permanent Normal Trade Relations.

More recently, as secretary of state, Mrs. Clinton praised the 12-country
Trans-Pacific Partnership repeatedly (at one point she called it the “gold
standard” of free-trade deals) and lobbied foreign governments for its
adoption. But last October, Mrs. Clinton announced that she opposed the
agreement.

During her 2008 presidential campaign, Mrs. Clinton also publicly opposed
free-trade agreements with Panama, South Korea and Colombia, the last of
which was opposed by human rights groups as well as organized labor in
Colombia and the United States. “I will do everything I can to urge the
Congress to reject the Colombia Free Trade Agreement,” she said at a
gathering of the Communications Workers of America in Washington.

But recently released emails from Mrs. Clinton’s private server show that
as secretary of state Mrs. Clinton lobbied Congress to support the
agreement with Colombia, which passed in 2011. Describing her effort to
sway Representative Sander M. Levin, Democrat of Michigan, Mrs. Clinton
wrote to a State Department official: “I told him that at the rate we were
going, Columbian workers were going to end up w the same or better rights
than workers in Wisconsin and Indiana and, maybe even, Michigan.” According
to Escuela Nacional Sindical, a Colombian labor rights group, 105 union
activists have been assassinated since the agreement passed.

Robert E. Scott, a senior economist at the left-leaning Economic Policy
Institute, estimates that NAFTA is responsible for the net loss of roughly
700,000 American jobs to Mexico, while China’s admittance to the W.T.O.
cost the United States more than three million jobs. Roughly three-quarters
of those losses were in the more heavily unionized manufacturing sector,
contributing to the steep decline in private sector union membership, which
went from 15.7 percent in 1993 to a nadir of 6.6 percent in 2014, the
lowest figure in a century.

Mr. Scott’s research has shown that these agreements not only drive down
manufacturing wages, but they also have a ripple effect, pushing down the
pay in other jobs typically held by workers without a college education:
home health care worker, truck driver, waitress. A 2013 paper by Mr.
Scott’s colleague at E.P.I., Josh Bivens, found that, on average,
noncollege-educated American workers, the people who make up roughly 70
percent of the labor force, lose nearly $2,000 a year in wages owing to the
growth of trade with low-wage countries promoted by free-trade agreements.

The depth of Mrs. Clinton’s estrangement from labor may not be known until
April 5, when Wisconsin holds its primary. Since 1960, no Democrat has won
the general election without winning the state, and a loss to Mr. Sanders
in Wisconsin could foreshadow trouble against Donald Trump, whose
opposition to free trade helped propel him to victory in Michigan. Exit
polls there showed that a majority of Republican voters also believe that
free trade takes away American jobs. Mr. Trump decisively won that group.
“You know, Michigan has been stripped,” Mr. Trump told CNN’s Anderson
Cooper the day after his victory. “You look at those empty factories all
over the place. And nobody hits that message better than me.”

While Mrs. Clinton’s pro-union shout out at the debate resonated widely,
many of Wisconsin’s labor activists remain skeptical. “A lot of our job
problems stem from NAFTA, and the TPP will kill us,” Gerry Miller, a United
Steelworkers welder at a Caterpillar plant in South Milwaukee, told me last
month. “We can’t compete with people being paid two dollars a day in
Vietnam. The thing that we’re most upset about is the pandering. Democrats
like Clinton speak labor out of one side of their mouth, but the corporate
interests pull the strings.” (Mr. Scott estimates that adoption of TPP will
result in the net loss of roughly 40,000 jobs in Wisconsin, 215,000 in
Michigan and 113,000 in Ohio.)

While Mrs. Clinton has received the endorsement of many of the large
national unions, the A.F.L.-C.I.O. has not yet taken sides. Many union
locals have chosen to back Mr. Sanders. David Poklinkoski, the president of
IBEW Local 2304, a Wisconsin utility union, said his local had never
endorsed anyone for any office before, but recently passed a unanimous
resolution endorsing Mr. Sanders. Mr. Poklinkoski praised the senator’s
consistent opposition to free-trade agreements.

After the Milwaukee debate, Mr. Poklinkoski told me that two of his members
who watched it came away as Sanders supporters. But Mr. Poklinkoski was
alarmed to hear that the men’s second choice was Mr. Trump. Mr. Poklinkoski
believes Mrs. Clinton could be vulnerable in Wisconsin.

“I’m worried about Trump versus Hillary,” Mr. Poklinkoski said. He noted
that at home Governor Walker had successfully portrayed himself as an
anti-tax, blue-collar politician, an image that helped him divide
Wisconsin’s workers during the state’s labor battles. “If you have a
right-wing populist, you can beat a corporate Democrat,” Mr. Poklinkoski
said. “Scott Walker did it three times here.”

*Dan Kaufman is a researcher and musician who writes frequently about the
labor movement in Wisconsin.*

===

Robert Naiman
Policy Director