On 3/16/16 2:58 PM, raghu wrote:
> Some snippets to whet your appetite:

[snippets snipped]

I was glancing casually at the NYT coverage of the Michigan results last
night and I had to laugh: all those big blue bubbles for the various
counties which somehow(*) denoted -- wait for it -- the size of
Hillary's *lead* ! I.e. a county where ten people voted and seven of
them voted for her would get a great big blue bubble, while a county
where ten thousand people voted and Bernie won by 1% would get a
weensy-tiny Bernie-colored bubble (I'm partly color blind so I couldn't
really tell what Bernie's color was, but it was dingy and unattractive,
while Hillary's cheerful blue really popped out.) The Times clearly has
a good deal of ingenuity to exercise on oblique deceptions of this kind.

(*) Inquiring minds want to know, but weren't told: what was the formula
for deciding the sizes of the bubbles? Were they based on the ratio
between B's and H's votes, or on the percentage-point gap? How were the
sizes related to the underlying datum, whatever it was? I suspect that
radius was driven by the datum, rather than area. Of course human
perception of size is much more closely related to area than to linear
dimensions, so you might say that the Times wasn't only lying, it was
lying squared.