The generosity of U.S. income support programs can best  be
conceptualized  from two main factors: 1) the perceived worthiness of
the recipient and 2) the scope of the governmental authority that
provides it. Among the means-tested welfare programs, this typology
suggest the following hierarchy. First, there is Supplemental Security
Income for the aged, blind, and disabled (the worthy poor), federalized
by Nixon in 1973. Then, there is TANF, state-run with federal monies for
welfare recipients (the unworthy poor--mostly, mothers and children ),
and then finally General Assistance, the most meager of all the
programs, operated by smaller localities for unworthy single adults.
Hence adequacy, the scope of governmental authority, and the perceived
worthiness of the recipients are all closely correlated. None of these
programs pay anything close to an decent amount, but these factors do
determine how close they can come.

Joel Blau

Daniel Davies wrote:

If we're going to collect a load of material on SS, then one area we should
certainly be looking into is the miserable failure of means-tested benefits
always and everywhere.

dd