The NY Daily News is a tabloid geared to workers and has the largest
circulation of any newspaper in the city, I believe. The publisher is
Mort Zuckerman, a billionaire real estate developer who bought it some
time ago in order to promote his rightwing agenda, especially support
for Zionist expansionism. The other tabloid is the NY Post, owned by
Rupert Murdoch. Murdoch's paper has been running article after article
about Columbia University's Mideast Studies Department and Joseph Massad
especially, who was accused of harrassing Israeli students in his classroom.

Today's news has a *front-page* article titled "Poison Ivy" that is a
no-holds barred assault on Columbia. (http://www.nydailynews.com/) It
singles out Massad, Hamid Dabashi, Nicholas DeGenova, Bruce Robbins,
Lila Abu-Lughod, George Saliba and Rashid Khalidi. It represents an
escalation in my opinion of the campaign inspired by David Horowitz. It
is *essential* that the academy step up to the challenge and beat back
this rightwing Zionist attack.

-- Marxism list: www.marxmail.org