Chronicle of Higher Education, November 26, 2004

A Liberal Professor Fights a Label
A faculty member accused of bias takes on students and a conservative group

By JENNIFER JACOBSON

Oneida J. Meranto did something this semester that she had never done in
her career. She tape-recorded her lecture.

The reason: self-protection. Last winter two students filed grievances
accusing the associate professor of political science at Metropolitan
State College of Denver of having a liberal bias and intimidating
conservative students.

Although college officials found as recently as October that she had
done nothing wrong, she received death threats and dozens of hateful
e-mail messages. She was too frightened to walk to her car alone, so
students escorted her.

Should she be accused of bias again, she wanted a record of what she had
said.

Sure enough, two days after she taped her lecture, another student filed
a grievance against the tenured professor.

A Navajo who often speaks out at rallies for women's and minority
rights, Ms. Meranto identifies herself as a liberal. She describes her
politics as "very raw" and says they were shaped by the plight of Native
Americans in this country. A former potter who ran art galleries in
Colorado before earning her Ph.D. at age 40, she prefers acupuncture to
chemotherapy in her battle against breast cancer. She has a soothing
voice that can turn menacing when she is angry, which she often is these
days.

What has happened to her shows how disputes about professors' political
leanings can quickly escalate into vicious battles that pit students
against faculty members and leave administrators stuck in the middle.
The dispute at Metropolitan, which has drawn national attention, has
already lasted a year, and shows no sign of ending.

In the aftermath of a contentious presidential election, such tensions
may only become worse as emboldened conservative students try to oust
professors they perceive as too liberal.

Ms. Meranto's experience has left her shaken but defiant. The most
recent student to file a grievance "was in my class for 50 minutes,"
says the professor, who denies showing any bias in her teaching. "Where
was the damage?"

Reining in Liberals

The controversy at Metropolitan comes at a time when Colorado, more than
any other state, has tried to rein in what some call the liberal
dominance in higher education by embracing the "academic bill of
rights," a set of principles conservatives say colleges should follow to
create intellectual diversity. Last spring public universities in
Colorado promised to do more to follow the spirit of that document.

"The atmosphere that's been created in Colorado ... does seem to bring
out these tendencies to make students more aggressive," says Robert M.
O'Neil, founder of the Thomas Jefferson Center for the Protection of
Free Expression and a professor of law at the University of Virginia. It
gives them a sense that if "they pound and shout loud enough they'll be
able to make something happen to a faculty member with whom they
disagree," he says.

John Andrews, a Republican Colorado legislator, contends "that's
baloney. Today the vast majority of students who dissent from leftism
still feel they need to tiptoe through many classes or many campus
situations if they don't want a fight on their hands."

The author of the academic bill of rights is David Horowitz, a longtime
conservative activist and president of the California-based Center for
the Study of Popular Culture. He has visited colleges across the country
promoting the document's tenets. Critics contend that its purpose is to
get rid of liberal professors.

In September 2003 Mr. Horowitz spoke at Metropolitan, and although he
was invited by the student government, some students and faculty members
protested his appearance.

Mr. Horowitz says he talked about the inappropriateness of such a
demonstration during his speech. "A university should be a place for a
free exchange of ideas," he says. "Sometimes I've had to correct
conservative students. Sometimes they don't want Michael Moore to speak.
I've tried to tell them we are for letting one hundred flowers bloom. We
are for intellectual diversity."

Bad Student or Bias?

Ms. Meranto's ordeal began last fall when she butted heads with two
students, Nick Bahl and George Gordon Culpepper Jr. Mr. Bahl, a
Republican and a columnist for Metropolitan's student newspaper, was a
senior in her class on Latin American politics. The professor describes
Mr. Bahl as a problem student who complained that she didn't grade him
fairly. She sent him an e-mail message saying that she was going to drop
him from her class and that he should contact her department chairman,
Robert Hazan.

Mr. Bahl disagrees with Ms. Meranto's version of events. In an article
he wrote in January for Frontpagemag.com, an online journal run by Mr.
Horowitz, Mr. Bahl says he complained about Ms. Meranto's constant
lateness to class. "I wrote her an e-mail asking that she be on time,
and moments later I received an e-mail from her telling me that she
planned on 'dropping' me."

Mr. Bahl also criticized Ms. Meranto for what he saw as her liberal
bias. "The fact that I learned 40 research-pages worth of valuable and
intellectually beneficial information about Latin America in half a
semester matters not to Meranto, since it wasn't the leftist
blame-America-for-everything information she expected me to learn," he
wrote in his online article.

In November 2003 Ms. Meranto had trouble with another conservative
student. Mr. Culpepper, a 30-year-old former Marine who transferred to
Metropolitan last year, was president of both the College Republicans
(he founded the campus chapter) and the Political Science Association, a
nonpartisan student group of which Mr. Bahl was a member. At the start
of the semester, Mr. Culpepper, a political-science major, got along
well with Ms. Meranto and asked her to be the association's adviser.

But Ms. Meranto and Mr. Culpepper soon had a falling out, and Ms.
Meranto says both Mr. Bahl and Mr. Culpepper asked her to resign as the
group's adviser, which she did.

Both students then filed grievances with the college against Ms.
Meranto. Two weeks before the end of the semester, Mr. Culpepper dropped
her course. The college declined to release the grievances, and it is
difficult to pinpoint the students' complaints. Both sides agree that
most of the conflicts occurred outside the classroom.

However, Ms. Meranto says Mr. Culpepper complained about a film she
showed in class that he believed insulted the military.

Mr. Culpepper, who attended Mr. Horowitz's speech, was convinced that
Ms. Meranto was impeding the intellectual diversity that Mr. Horowitz
had championed.

At a state legislative hearing organized by Senator Andrews to consider
the need for an academic bill of rights, Mr. Culpepper testified about
what he saw as Ms. Meranto's political bias. Later he became an intern
in Mr. Andrews's office.

The college's Faculty Federation, an affiliate of the American
Federation of Teachers, fired off a letter to the university's
president, Raymond N. Kieft, calling on Mr. Culpepper to apologize for
his "reckless charges" in writing to Ms. Meranto and asking the
administration to write a letter supporting her. Neither was done.

Ms. Meranto complains about the lack of faculty support, particularly
from colleagues in Chicano and women's studies. Vincent C. de Baca,
chairman of the Chicano-studies department, writes in an e-mail message:
"We had nothing to do with her situation and we want to keep it that way."

Mr. Hazan, the political-science chairman, contends that he and his dean
made every effort to resolve the conflict at the departmental level, but
"the students were far more interested in turning this into an
elephant." Ms. Meranto was outraged by the students' disrespect, and the
students were outraged by the challenge they got from Ms. Meranto, Mr.
Hazan says. "It just got out of hand."

Hateful Messages

Ms. Meranto began receiving hateful e-mail messages and death threats:
"Hispanics, they should be cooked, and mixed into the Taco Bell menu.
They should all be killed." "Shoot this commie bitch."

When she asked to have her e-mail address changed,
information-technology officials refused, she says, and told her it was
a "freedom of speech" issue. So she had a student open her e-mail
messages for her.

Articles that Mr. Bahl and Mr. Culpepper had written about her for
Frontpagemag.com, posted with a photograph of her in front of a picture
of Che Guevara, only fueled the intensity of the hate mail she received,
she says.

Mr. Horowitz defends posting her picture. "We live in a free society
with a free press," he says. "I didn't put a mustache or horns on her.
We just published her picture so people would know who we're talking about."

The picture comes from the political-science department's Web site and
was taken of Ms. Meranto seated in her office. She says the photograph
is three or four years old and that she has since redecorated.

After hearing of her situation in the local press, J. Triplett
Mackintosh, a Denver lawyer, contacted Ms. Meranto and offered pro bono
legal help. He demanded that the college president issue a statement
condemning the death threats, that the college provide her with parking
close to her building, that all of her classes be in the same building
as her office, that campus police provide her with security, and that
her e-mail address be changed.

The college rejected each of the demands.

"I live alone, and the school didn't seem concerned," says Ms. Meranto,
who is 55. When her evening class would finish at 8:30 p.m., two or
three students would walk her to her car.

Mr. Kieft declined to speak to The Chronicle. Lee Combs, Metropolitan's
general counsel, says the college did not change her e-mail address
because it should always be accessible to the public. "It's in our
directory," he says. "Students need to communicate with their faculty
members. If someone off campus is harassing or threatening a professor,
changing their e-mail address is not going to be an effective solution."

If she feared for her life, he says, "she should have gone to law
enforcement."

Ms. Meranto says that when she asked campus police for protection, she
was told "to think about getting a service dog."

In February students held rallies in support of the professor and they
enlisted the help of a Native American spiritual leader to conduct a
"smudging," or symbolic cleansing, of the college. "A lot of people
walked with him and prayed about the school," Ms. Meranto says. He
"asked the negative spirits to go away." He blessed her office.

When that hit the papers, she says, "you know how journalists treated it
-- it seemed ridiculous."

Mr. Horowitz thought so, too. He posted the flyer for the prayer vigil
on his blog and entitled the entry "Indian War Party in Colorado." The
first sentence reads: "Ever wondered how loony universities have become?"

As the hate e-mail messages continued and the college investigated the
students' grievances, Ms. Meranto directed her energies toward another
fight -- against breast cancer. She was diagnosed with the disease in
the summer of 2002 and has opted not to use western medicine to treat
it. Instead she practices alternative treatments, such as Chinese
acupuncture, and has prayed with her tribe.

Concerned about Ms. Meranto's health, her chairman reduced her teaching
load last semester from four classes to two. At the height of the
controversy, she says, she was very emotional: "If somebody asked me
about it, I would start crying."

In July she left for Egypt on a Fulbright fellowship, but the president
did not issue his decision about the students' charges until August.

"You are entirely within your legal rights to hold and express views
contrary to your students' on Latin American politics, current public
issues like the 'student bill of rights,' and the proper
responsibilities of student organizations you advise and its members,"
Mr. Kieft wrote in his decision, on August 9. "The College cannot and
will not presume that your treatment of students reflects ideological
bias or prejudice merely because you express your point of view."

He wrote that students had the same rights to freedom of expression and
association as she has, and that the college requires that she grade
students on their academic performance and not their point of view.
"This investigation gave me substantial reason to believe that you acted
at all times consistently with this standard," he said.

He concluded that "'watchdogs' for 'political bias' who seek to remove
professors holding a point of view will inhibit the rich dialogue that
must take place in the classroom and destroy the expressive freedom that
is essential to the search for truth."

Ms. Meranto says she was pleased with the president's decision.

Conservative activists, both on and off campus, singled her out because
she is a Native American woman, she says, and as such, is highly visible.

Mr. Horowitz denies taking aim at Ms. Meranto. And he calls her fears
about being fired ridiculous. "She has the entire administration, the
teacher's union, the law, which is tenure, and my academic bill of
rights all on her side in protecting her job," he says. "We're just
trying to get the woman to have decent manners."

Instead, he says, she introduced her politics into the classroom and
intimidated conservative students who disagreed with her: "She went on
the warpath."

But after the president's decision, Ms. Meranto says, she continued to
receive hateful e-mail messages and nasty comments from conservative
students who had begun to use a chat room run by Creative Resistance, a
left-leaning student organization.

No Evidence

Hoping to avoid last year's turmoil, taping her lecture seemed wise, Ms.
Meranto says. She also included in her syllabus the exact page number in
the Student Handbook that students should consult if they wished to file
a grievance about her teaching.

Two days after her first "American National Government" class, William
R. Pierce, a freshman, did just that, saying that "she attacked
Republicans. She inferred that we are incapable of thinking critically
and should therefore drop her class," he said. Ms. Meranto denies it.

The president, in an October 21 decision regarding Mr. Pierce's
complaint, wrote that he "found nothing on the tape that would insult,
demean, ridicule, or evince hostility toward College Republicans,
Republicans in general, or conservatives as such."

When Mr. Hazan, the department chair, learned that Ms. Meranto had felt
compelled to record her class, he says he didn't know whether to
congratulate her for protecting herself or to be "saddened about the
state of affairs in academia."

As Ms. Meranto works with the Faculty Senate to create policies that
will protect professors from harassment, acrimonious debate about her
behavior -- and calls for her resignation -- have continued among
students. Jesse Samora, this year's chairman of the College Republicans,
wrote to the professor last month in the Creative Resistance chat room
that he "could give one half rats ass what your political ideologies
are. ... I hope that we can sit down and talk about this at your
leisure, maybe when you are clearing out your office."

Ms. Meranto defended herself in the chat. She wrote that she had been
redeemed and told Mr. Samora to "go to hell."

In the meantime, it looks like Mr. Culpepper won't go away anytime soon.
Next month he plans to file another grievance against Ms. Meranto with
the college's Board of Trustees.

--

The Marxism list: www.marxmail.org