Two thoughts on Lou.s message.  The article did not mention the tremendous gulf
between the
economic status of the players and fans -- except the celebrity fans.  A couple
weeks ago,
if I remember correctly, Latrell Sprewell, was griping about a $14 million
salary,
explaining, "I've got to put food on the table for my family..  Unless he has
more children
than the typical NBA player, even a meager $14 million should suffice.

Also, the article discusses the racial makeup of fans and players.  I remember
reading an
economics article explaining how teams like Salt Lake City, located in
predominantly white
areas, pay more for white bench sitters to not alienate fans by making
basketball a black
sport.  Detroit was used, if I remember correctly, as a benchmark for having a
greater
black fan  base.

--
Michael Perelman