Tom wrote:>>> So for the autonomists, the "fetters" and crisis are
manifestations of the working class struggle and it is capital's effort
to overcome this resistence by workers that leads to new forms of the
labor process.<<<

I wrote: >> Right. But the fetters also reflect capitalists' attempts to
maintain power<<

CC: >O.K. It as a general law of history that "fettering" becomes (or
can become) a technological determinism. But if it is seen as specific
to the capitalist mode of production, then the objection doesn't apply.
I presume that there can still be debate, but this perspective does
answer my initial phrasing of the objection.<

I don't understand. "Fettering" simply refers to socio-economic
restrictions on technological change (or more generally, change in the
forces of production). It refers to workers resisting speed-up and the
like and also capitalists and others defending their privileges.

There's technological determinism if the clash between the development
of the forces and the social structure leads to a specific result that
depends on only the technology. But it also depends on between-class and
intra-class struggles.

Further, the development of the forces of production itself depends on
the nature of the society that generates that development. If the
"determiner" is itself determined, there's hardly any determinism.

> If it is made a general law of history it can't explain why still in
the 18th century textile productivity in non-capitalist India was so
much greater than in capitalist England.<

Even the crudest practitioner of "histomat" knows the answer: India had
a head-start in that sector. However, England had the military might.
JD

I don't understand.

Jim Devine, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://myweb.lmu.edu/jdevine/