From: PEN-L list [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Devine,
James
Sent: Monday, January 10, 2005 12:32 PM
To: PEN-L@SUS.CSUCHICO.EDU
Subject: [PEN-L] Slate's Today's Papers: Iraqi elections

The Bushwhackers' commitment to holding the Iraqi elections as scheduled
now seems in the same general ball-park as Hitler's order (during the
last phases of WW2) that German troops never retreat. Obviously, there
are major differences, but in both cases there's an effort to make
symbolic commitments in hopes that somehow sticking to one's guns will
solve the problem. Symbolic commitments ("drawing a line in the sand")
can work if one starts with enough power, but in both of these cases,
the commitments seem in vain.

>From WP/Newsweek's "Today's Papers": > The Washington Post fronts a
look
at the muddled state of absentee voting for Iraqis in the U.S. Officials
are predicting that 240,000 voters in the U.S. could show up to cast
ballots (this number includes Iraqi-Americans who have never set foot in
Iraq but are eligible voters because their fathers were born there), but
information on how and where to vote is still scarce, and would-be
voters are frustrated. The story takes a hard look at the issue compared
to the mostly rosy account in The Los Angeles Times which bears the
cheery headline (online, at least): "Expatriates Eager to Rock the Iraqi
Vote."

>There was more discouraging news Sunday about the upcoming Iraqi
election, with an Iraqi paper reporting that every member of the
electoral board in the province of Anbar resigned after threats by
insurgents. According to the WP, the head of the commission deemed
holding elections "impossible." <

Jim Devine, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
web: http://myweb.lmu.edu/jdevine/